1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Entry isn't being smart

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sparkymarvin, Mar 20, 2005.

1. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi everyone,

I searched around for someone with a similar problem in the forums, but had no luck.

Since this morning, the smart entry on my prius has not been working properly.

The symptoms are:
    -interior lights do not turn on when the car is approached
    -doors do not unlock when grasping the handles
    -the vehicle makes a long beep when I push the black lock button on the door handle (obviously designed to be heard on the exterior part of the car)...This same thing occurs in normal operation when attempting to lock the car with a door remaining open, but I have closely checked all the door latches and sensors and everything seems to be shut tight and in good working order (visibly anyway).

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, and if anyone has some ideas to fix it.

Thanks all,

~Andrew

2. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Dumb question...
    Did you accidentaly push the smart start disable button under the steering wheel?

3. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

I did try pressing/resetting the smart button under the dash. It did me no good.

~Andrew

4. wdfoto

wdfoto New Member

This happen to me over the weekend and after opening all the doors and re-closing I found the rear hatch was not closed all the way. Works just fine after I closed it again.

5. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nope, I've tried that too.

I've even slammed the rear hatch. :( But nothing seems to be working.

The remote function for locking the doors works just fine and everything gets locked, so I'm pretty sure it isn't a mechanical problem.

Hmm... ???

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

dead battery in the fob? or low enough to not let the SKS work but enough power to operate the transmitter for the remote.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you have left your extra fob inside the car? That's exactly what it sounds like is going on.

8. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking thru the window with all the doors/hatch shut, is the "open door" warning light still on in the dash?

9. DanP

DanP Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"74175)</div>
    This has happened to me, too. I tried to lock the door with my wife's purse in the car--all I got was a long beep. I had to read the manual to find the solution. BTW, reading the manual can be entertaining: Toyota could use some help in the translation department.

10. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanP\";p=\"74181)</div>
    This has happened to me, too. I tried to lock the door with my wife's purse in the car--all I got was a long beep. I had to read the manual to find the solution. BTW, reading the manual can be entertaining: Toyota could use some help in the translation department.[/b][/quote]
    Try reading some of their Repair Manuals and Installation Instructions (that come with accessories). Makes you laugh some time. :lol:

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

oh no, their Jinglish is perfect. I pointed that out to our factory rep and didn't even get a smile. What a narrow minded goof.

12. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Yep, sounds like you have an extra fob in the car...

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If you put your fob away, and the car can still be turned on, yup, there's another fob. Even if it can't start, saying you don't have a key, the fob could be in the cargo area.

14. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wow, thanks all.

It was the extra fob. My friend forgot her purse under the passenger seat, and the interior antenna must be picking it up and disabling the entry system.

I feel so stupid. I used to laugh at people who would make dumb posts like this. Sorry for causing trouble. :oops:

Thanks everyone for your help.

~Andrew

15. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow I learned something today :) Working on some many models, it is hard to keep track of all their quirks and it is immpossibe to read and remember what all the owners manuals tell you. I just read thru it if I think a problem could be found in there.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Andrew,
    This is an opportunity to prevent someone else from making the same mistake in the future. And from saving someone from the same embarrasment should they have a similar problem.

I'm just glad it was so easily diagnosed.