1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by tomad51, Aug 18, 2009.

1. tomad51

tomad51 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2007 Prius we have has two Smart Keys, each has stopped working from time to time. The red light comes on. A blog I read spoke about how to remove the battery. He said remove the key and put it by the seam and twist it and you have your battery. I haven't tried it. Does this work? Next, where can you get a replacement battery? :confused: Tom

2. ragman

ragman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I just took my 07 prius key and did the following...

Remove the cut key totally. Then I pulled the slide lock that keeps the cut key in, all the way to the release position. It needs to be pulled back all the way and held there. I then pressed really hard on the ridge on the back of the key with my thumb and pushed to slide the cover plate up parallel with the long way of the key and off. The first time I did it was the first it had ever been done and it was very hard to get to budge. Under that cover there is then a little plate that holds the battery in with 4 small eyeglass size phillips head screws. The battery type it says is a CR2032, which you should be able to get at any grocery store or drug store.

If that doesn't work or make sense send me a message and i'll take pics of my key disassembled