1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key and carwash/valet parking

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by dick_blaine, Mar 4, 2012.

1. dick_blaine

dick_blaine New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What do Prius v and other owners of other cars with smart key systms do at the car wash. Do you put the car in neutral and trun off the engine or do you leave the engine running with the key in the glove compartment or somewhere else in the interior?

Same question but regarding valet parking.

How about emergency access to the car w/o the key (please don't repeat the myth about transmiting RF over an audio cell phone connection). I am aware of the functioning of the mechanical key.
    Can AAA or even the free Toyota road side maintenance get us out of a pickle if something happens to the key (like droping it in water)?

Do car wash attendents and valet parking people even know how to drive this vehicle?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do whatever the carwash tells you, usually put it in neutral and leave the engine on? i think you're supposed to make sure you have a pretty full charge before going in.
    after 8 years, valets and such have a pretty good handle on the sks and a lot of cars have it now. locked car with no key? might have to get a dealer out there. i would always want reasonable access to the second fob. when traveling, i take both with me.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You must leave the ICE on when the car is in neutral. If you power down the car will go in to park.

4. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You would think they would be familiar with these cars, but they are such low paying, high turnover jobs I sure wouldn't depend on them knowing anything. The first time I got my car valet parked they did about 2500 worth of damage to the front end, because he didn't think the car was on.

The only way I would let a car wash touch my car is if I remained in it through the process.

iPad ?

5. GuamKelly

GuamKelly Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I really don't like the idea of running my lovely, low slung automobile through a wash rack anyhow. I always seek out a self wash, or kids doing a fundraiser, or do it myself at home.