1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key button fatigue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dave@Moon, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Dave@Moon

Dave@Moon Junior Member

I've had my car (2005) a little over 2 years now, and I've had to replace 2 Smart Key fobs. The first fob somehow lost all button function (although the SKS still worked) after 1 year and 3 months. The replacement fob (just short of 12 months later--barely but thankfully still under the 1 year warrantee) came out of my pocket the other day with the "unlock" button jammed down. I was unable to lock the car. After about 18 hours the button did pop back up, but was MUCH weaker. It's now been replaced with a new fob.

The first fob that failed did get wet for about 5 minutes in a swimming pool about a week before the buttons failed. As best I can figure the second fob must have been pinched against another key in my pocket at some point, however I was wearing very loose fitting pants and there were only a few coins & the other keys on the ring in my pocket at the time (5 keys, a 1" pocket knife, and a bottle opener/key fob).

I don't want to have to deal with this again. Two more weeks and this would've been a $220 bill. Is there anyone out there selling a protective case or cover for these buttons? Are there any other alternatives?

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave@Moon @ Aug 9 2007, 07:54 AM) [snapback]492963[/snapback]</div>

I put my fob on a clip that I usually attach to the belt loop on my pants. That way its always with me, but the buttons don't get smashed down like they could if it was in my pocket. I got the clip at REI.

[attachmentid=10502]

Pay no attention to the dog hair. :)

Attached Files:

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are buttons on the fob?! :;-):
    I'm not in the mood to do the search right now, but there's a company that makes little leather 'pouches' for key fobs with a clear 'front' that you can see and push the buttons through.

Hell, send me a PM and I'll mail you the one I have in a drawer unused for almost 3 years. I'm coming up on 4 years with my fobs and they work fine and I've never had any issues with the buttons...but then I almost never use the buttons so they could be completely non-functional for all I know.