1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key+Car wash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cireecnop1, May 21, 2007.

1. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The last few times I washed my car I noticed that the parking lights flash as if I hit the lock button....I took the key out of my pocket and made sure it wasn't hitting the remote and resumed washing the car. The lights flashed again *once to lock then minutes later *twice to unlock...and after another couple minutes... *once to lock . . . .and so on and so on. and I tried just standing there with the car while I was drying it and nothing.

anyone else experience this?

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ May 21 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]447061[/snapback]</div>
    Well, the doors are supposed to unlock if you just touch the door handles with the smart key within 3 feet. I thought you actually had to push in the black rubber button to lock them though.

This happens to me while washing my car, but I was convinced I was hitting the buttons in my pocket.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Your Prius is just showing you its appreciation for you taking such good care of it. :lol:

What you are experiencing is not expected, but it is a normal behavior for the car.

While washing the car you are getting the two sensors on the backside of the front door handles wet. That gives the car the same signal as though you were grabbing the handle with your hand. You are also standing within approximately three feet and you have the key FOB in your pocket.

After approximately 45 seconds the car will re-lock the doors if you haven't actually opened the door.

If it bugs you, take the key fob out of range, turn off the SKS (button located under steering wheel), unlock the doors before you start to wash, or don't get the door handle wet.

Me personally, I like my Prius saying, 'thanks.'

4. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same thing happen to me while washing the car. I removed the smart key from my pocket and put it in the house, problem went away.