1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart key caused me a problem today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tydaco, May 18, 2007.

1. tydaco

tydaco New Member

I've had my Prius for a couple of weeks now and so far has been very happy. The Smart Key system has been great but it's convienence cause me a problem and a few dollars today. I took my wife to Home Depot to pick up a patio table and since I new it wouldn't fit in the Prius I took my 97 Town and Country that I drove the past 10 years. We did our shopping and when we got to the van I realize that although I have been driving the Prius for only 2 weeks I have already developed athe habit of not needed to remove kets when I get out of my vehicle. That's right, I locked my keys in the car for the first time in 37 years of driving. Of course I have a spare, in my billfold, in the Prius, 60 miles away. So I go back into Home Depot and purchase some heavy wire (nobody has wire hangers anymore) and a couple screw drivers and about 10 minutes later and $20 poorer I'm back in the van. My question would be, has the Smart Key made anyone else a dumb driver.

2. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You might have been able to fit it in the Prius.

3. Bendial80

Bendial80 New Member

The nice thing about the smart key is that it won't lock if it detects the smart key inside the vehicle...

Either way, I've gotten in the habit of just leaving my keys in my pocket and not taking them out (for the first few days I put them in the cupholder), but yeah, it probably does develop pretty bad habits.

4. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never done what you did, but there have been many many times when I've hopped in our "other" car with the keys in my pocket and then I have to go through some contortions to get them out.

An easy solution to your problem would be to move closer to Home Depot :p

5. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(New Guy @ May 18 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]444995[/snapback]</div>
    I was in my Hummer the other day, driving down a long hill, and shifted into "R" (thinking regenerate). Oops. That was not good.

Now stranded on the side of the road, I call information and asked for the phone number of the Hummer Hotline. But when I called, the lady said she didn't know anything about cars.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bendial @ May 18 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]445019[/snapback]</div>
    It's agrivating to get in our Lexus 400h hybrid SUV only to find I have to get the key out of my pocket. That's part of being a dumber driver due to the smart key.

Dumber than the smart function: GM's onstar system; "Helo, I'm stupid and just locked my self out of the car ... again".
    With GM, you get to PAY money - monthly, for a system that forces you to CALL someone and admit your dumbness. Toyota's smart system more or less make the car dummy proof so you don't HAVE to call up to admit your dumbness :p

8. queenie

queenie New Member

A few weeks ago, I tried to start my brother's vehicle (Jeep Cherokee) by stepping on the brake and pressing the dashboard.

9. Acelin

Acelin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(queenie @ May 18 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]445099[/snapback]</div>
    How did that work for you? :D

I had a similar experience with my wife's Colorado: get in, buckle up, adjust seat, adjust mirror, step on brake, stare at dashboard.

"Keys!" my wife helpfully chimes in with.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i drove DH's car for a week while he was out of town (long trip, i told him to take the prius for better mpg) and i was so aggravated about having to use a key to unlock the doors and start the car. didn't help that the lock cylinder was a little tricky in that car and it was hot outside that week.

11. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 18 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]445137[/snapback]</div>
    Are we all admitting that we're spoiled now?
    Fortunately, the only car I've had to drive in the past year and a half that wasn't a Prius was a rental I used last Christmas.

Dave M.

12. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(New Guy @ May 18 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]444995[/snapback]</div>

Ok, I'm not getting this. Even with the Smart Key, why would you be in the habit of NOT removing keys from the vehicle? How do you lock it with the keys on the interior?

:huh:

13. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gh4chiefs @ May 18 2007, 03:15 PM) [snapback]445159[/snapback]</div>

Do you not own this car? You press the black button on the outside of the handle.

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ May 18 2007, 04:42 PM) [snapback]445242[/snapback]</div>
    Do you not own this car? It's impossible to lock your (SKS) fob in the car by pushing the black button on the outside of the door. In fact, if your other SKS fob is inside the car, it won't lock even if you have one outside the car.

15. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ May 18 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]445252[/snapback]</div>
    The thing is he asked 'why would you be in the habit of not removing your keys from the car.' My keys are always in my pocket, so it seems reasonable that the original poster could have accidentally left them in the ignition.

Also it's very possible to lock in your SKS in the car, as it has been reported on this site a number of times.

16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ May 18 2007, 05:03 PM) [snapback]445258[/snapback]</div>
    Really? I must have missed those posts. I've only heard of one (very convoluted) way to lock a (properly functioning) SKS fob in the car; I believe it involved locking the door through an open window and then yanking your hand out of the way as the window rolled up.

17. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ May 18 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]445273[/snapback]</div>
    I think if you hit the lock button on the inside of the drivers door before shutting it you could lock the keys in the car. If you always use the outside buttons (which I do) AFAIK it's very difficult if not impossible.

18. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ May 18 2007, 05:28 PM) [snapback]445273[/snapback]</div>
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...mp;hl=smart+key
    Let's keep this thread on smart keys, not smart asses :)

19. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ May 18 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]445278[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps, but only if the driver's door is "special." I actually tried the above on the passenger's side (just because that was the side I happened to be standing close to) because I was curious. When I locked the doors using the rocker switch, then closed the door with the SKS fob inside, the doors unlock.

20. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ May 18 2007, 03:35 PM) [snapback]445278[/snapback]</div>
    SKS will unlock the doors when they shut if the FOB is inside.