1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart key fails in one area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bluethumb, Sep 25, 2008.

1. bluethumb

bluethumb New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's a strange situation. I wonder if anyone else has seen something like this. My smart key works fine almost everywhere. I don't even have to take it out of my pocket. But there are a few parking spaces in a lot at work where it fails. I can't open the trunk, and I have to push the button on the fob to unlock the doors.

I suppose that something nearby must be transmitting a signal that overwhelms the key signal. Can anyone describe how the smart key works? What frequency does it use? Does the key send a continuous signal, or does it respond to a signal from the car?

2. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A cell phone will block the fobs signal. So if you have the key in the pocket under the cell phone on your belt it is a good bet that the signal will be blocked. THis is the only thing I have found to affect the signal when actually at the door or hatch.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The vehicle to SmartKey frequency is 134.2 kHz. The SmartKey to vehicle frequency is 312 - 315 mHz.

The attached document explains when the vehicle transmits. The SmartKey waits to be polled by the vehicle, before transmitting.

Attached Files:

4. dmdiver

dmdiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've noticed that my car doesn't seem to 'find' my key if my cell phone is next to it in my purse. At least I am thinking that's what is interfering with it. What has puzzled me is the fact that I have gotten in the car, turned it on, then it screams for the key, which is in my purse on the floorboard. What's up with that?

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Once I was parked next to another Prius. Its door was open. I don't know if that's relevant. My SKS would not function and I had to take the fob out of my pocket and press the Open key. Once or twice, the black handle button would not lock the car, and I had to use the fob button. These incidents have been extremely rare, but they've happened.

The fob is a radio-control device, and as such is subject to RFI. And RFI can be really weird. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it works most of the time.

6. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If there is ANY radio transmitter operating near your car, you can have problems with the key. Some items of lab equipment are essentially radio transmitters, so if you park near a building, and on the other side of the wall someone in a lab is operating something that is emitting radio waves, you can experience problems.

Try parking away from the building, for one thing.

7. pord2548

pord2548 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Have the same problem but just with the passenger side door. 99 times out of a 100 I must use the unlock button on the fob. Have been to the dealer twice and it always works fine for them, of course. They said some Toyota data sheet mentioned to stay away from a microwave oven, it will put the fob in sleep mode. I don't buy it because it should be affecting all the key functions. I have a 2008 with less than 5000 miles on it. They refuse to replace the passenger door sensor just to see if it will solve the problem. I'm sick of this problem, any suggestions?

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If the problem is only with the passenger door, then it isn't a fob problem. Just as a sanity check, try it with the fob out of your pocket. On rare occasions your body or pocket contents can block the signal, and it is possible that your approach to the passenger's door is different than your approach to the driver's door.

Most likely you have a problem with the transponder on the passenger side. Get your dealer to look at it. There is one for the driver's door, one for the hatch, and one for the passenger's door. Each can fail without affecting the others.

Tom

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does this problem happen only at one physical location, or does it happen wherever you go?

If the dealer cannot replicate the issue, they will be reluctant to throw parts at the problem since they probably can't get reimbursed by Toyota. Can you demonstrate this failure for the service writer, when your car is parked at the dealer?

Does the problem bother you enough so that you would be willing to pay for replacement of the RH door electrical key oscillator?