1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key FOB button cover torn - fixed with cheap ebay fob case

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aaronlife, Aug 12, 2015.

1. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My fob button covers have been missing for years and I finally decided since I'm spending big bucks to replace the hybrid battery, I'd spring $18 on a replacement cover from China on ebay. The seller has good feedback, including other Prius owners, so I ordered it. It came within a week, from China.

I took my old fob apart, it's glued closed so it takes a little prying, and the new cover snaps together. It's not as high quality as the original, but it's a perfect fit. I even opted to use my original back with the Toyota emblem on it instead of the new plain black cover and my door key fits perfectly. I may glue it closed instead of relying on the snap just to add weatherproofing to it.

So, for anyone considering it, here's pics WP_20150812_003.jpg . Note the little magnet looking chip "B-04105" in the half of the case without the green circuit board must be transferred to the new fob case. That's essential...
    WP_20150812_005.jpg

Here's the new fob case empty, it comes with new screws for the battery cover.

WP_20150812_004.jpg

And here is the new fob back together with original components inside...

WP_20150812_014.jpg
    And my original key and fob cover rear plate slid on and snapped in place...

WP_20150812_015.jpg