1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key games.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Smart Key games:

Put both Smart Keys in one hand face up. Approach driver door. Try to guess which key will communicate with the car as indicated by small flashing red light in upper right of the key.

Game over . . . now on to key trivia.

The car will only communicate with one Smart Key per door at any time, or two keys at two separate doors at the same time - one key per door. (I don’t know if it will do three keys at once since I don’t have a third Smart Key).

Once the car registers a Smart Key in the interior, Smart Key functions on the outside stop . . . except for the rear hatch by pressing up on the opener. Remote buttons on the Smart Key will still work at this time.

With any “power on†condition OR with the Smart Key in the key slot, all Smart Key AND remote communications with the exterior is discontinued. Only the old fashioned metal key will give you access to the interior at this time.

With any “power on†condition, the car will complain (beeps and ExclamationKey warning light) if the key is removed from the interior and no keys remain inside, but ONLY upon closing an open door or hatch. If the key that is registered to the interior is removed, the car will seamlessly register any remaining interior key. If the key is passed through a window there will be no warning!

Every time any door or hatch closes, the car “looks†for Smart Keys inside and outside, as indicated by the red flash on the Smart Key.

2. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"51810)</div>
    Huh... interesting... I didn't know that. I didn't realize the warning system was tied to the door/hatch closing.

In case anyone is wondering (I know this question has come up for newbies, but it's been discussed previously I think), even if the smart key has been removed from the car and the "no key" warning is on the dash, the car can still be driven. Confirmed this myself the other day.