1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key - Health Hazard??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by esetter, Jun 8, 2006.

1. esetter

esetter New Member

Are there any potential radio frequency-related health hazards associated with carrying my smart key in pants pocket all day long?

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The power output from the keyfob is probably one millionth of what you are exposed to constantly from the RF all around you every day. Even though it's right up against your body, it's completely overshaddowed by the radio and tv signals that bombard you 24/7.

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No health hazard whatsoever.

Like Daniel said, the RF broadcast from your local radio station is probably more dangerous. And then there's all those microwave signals, UV radiation from the sun, etc.

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cellphone's RF emission is a lot more hazardous than our SKS fob's.

5. esetter

esetter New Member

In all seriousness, is there any scientific data on this subject? For example, how do the RF emissions compare to those of cell phones.

6. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know of any data that has been compiled, likely because it doesn't present a threat. I'm sure if there were any level of serious concern, an extensive analysis would have been conducted.

7. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't have the exact numbers, but think about the distance. Cell phones need to transmit to a base station mile(s) away, while the fob transmits to our cars couple of feet away. Power required to transmit for cell phone is much much larger.

8. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esetter @ Jun 8 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]268033[/snapback]</div>
    You need to look no farther than the size of the battery. You SKS fob has a small battery that lasts 2 or more years. It doesn't have the power to transmit anything more than a rather feeble signal.

9. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    If you left your SKS in your pocket long enough, you will eventually die. ;)

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its like the cell phone issue, just dont keep the fob in your front pockets close to you know were and you shouldnt have to worry about the cancer starting there..... :blink:

Some time I just bowl myself over.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Plus, the cellphones only became an issue when they got small and handheld. In the early days of carphones (or if anyone remembrers the cool "portable" cell phone in a bag) the transmitter wasn't located inches from our brains and never an issue.

Thou personally I have no qualms whatsoever about my cell phone. Given the huge usage of the little phones, we should have a brain cancer epidemic by now.

12. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Don't forget: the fob is in RECEIVE-ONLY mode until it's close enough to the car to be queried... it's not broadcasting its presence. Only when the CAR asks it to transmit should it do so. Most of the day, your fob is quite passive.

13. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmrickie @ Jun 8 2006, 11:01 AM) [snapback]268064[/snapback]</div>
    Would that be from not showering cause you are leaving your pants on all the time? You should take your wife along all the time so that she could carry it in her purse with your wallet. Probably more likely to get hit with an asteroid or a falling elevator.

Plus if your SKS kills you...at least you went having a good time with the car!

14. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 8 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]268050[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah and the tower needs to transmit back. Regardless of whether or not you have a cellphone, you are constantly exposed to cellphone radiation from the towers.

Who cares? Low-energy radiation isn't particularly harmful, and microwaves, radio waves, and infrared are all low-energy. Visible light is higher-energy radiation, and UV, X-rays, and gamma rays are high-energy radiation and those are the harmful ones.

15. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had the same worries, so I just made a matching pair of tinfoil briefs to go with my tinfoil hat.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Does anybody remember the old Tom Lehrer song about living in Nevada before the atmospheric test ban?

Quoted from memory, and probably with errors:

"Mid the sagebrush and the cactus
    I'll watch the fellahs practice
    Dropping bombs through the clean desert breeze, yahoo!
    I have on my sombrero
    and o' course I wear a pair o'
    Levis over my lead BVD's."

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  18. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The SKS fob should be negligible when considering TV/Radio waves, cordless home phones, cell phones, WiFi networking, radation from just being in the sun, and other RF devices (TV, DVD, Sat receiver remotes are now coming in RF). You also get bombarded by your computer monitors, TVs, etc.

This is probably why cancer has increased 20x over the last 100 years, but what are you going to do about it? Barricade yourself in a secure vault with a faraday's cage in your basement for the rest of your life.

The ony things that are assured are death and taxes so just enjoy your Prius and live your life like today is your last day. :D (no that does not mean go rob a bank or spend all your savings)

19. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jun 9 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]268579[/snapback]</div>
    You're no fun.

:lol:

20. yauman

yauman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esetter @ Jun 8 2006, 07:06 AM) [snapback]267861[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, let's reason this one out - Cell phones put out enough RF energy to reach the relay towers up to 6 miles away. The smart key only need to get the signal to within 2 feet away. You put the smart key in your pocket or purse - you put your cell phone up to your ear next to your brains.. ok.. which one should you be worrying about if you decide to worry about RF energy in your life?

The smart key is not radiating RF energy all the time - if it did, the battery will have a very short life. The smart key is quite passive - in "sleep" mode unitl you walk within a couple of feet of a Prius or other smart key equipped car. The car sends out a query signal, the smart key wakes up and send an id back to the car - if it's the correct id, the "conversation" continues.. and the rest of the process continues - unlock door, enable start circuit etc. So, while you are carrying your smat key around in your pocket, there is no spurious continuous radiation flooding your pants.. so please don't worry... ok..

[step on soap box]
    Now, if you want something to be really worry about, they are talking about putting cell phone signals inside subway trains (like they've been doing in Japan and Europe for the last 15 years) - now that's something to worry about- bathed in RF energy inside an enclosed metal box.. - but you can make phone calls while riding the subway 30 feet underground... isn't that cool?

.. seriously.. I am very sad when I read posts like this - it really really drive home the point about the total failure of science education in America... we are in deep trouble, fellow citizens.. we have become consumers of advance scientific products foist on us by Japan, Korea, etc and we have nothing but fear to coup with our ignorance and lack of scientific knowledge.. sad.. very sad for a nation that put men on the moon and invented the internet 30 years ago..
    [step off soap box]

Sorry.. [putting on flame-retartant suit..]