1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key - heart problems?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Larry_R, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Hi - I'm getting a new Prius in a couple of weeks - and am concerned about the Smart Key product. I was told by the dealer that people with pacemakers may be at risk if they carry one of the Smart Key devices.

My question is - will a person with a pacemaker be at risk if he/she rides in the Prius? I can't seem to get a solid answer, and need to know, because my 82-year old father-in-law has a pacemaker.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanx. . . .

2. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wryter @ Jun 2 2007, 06:02 PM) [snapback]454112[/snapback]</div>

IMO, the keyfob puts out such little RF energy that it would not matter. Also, remember years ago when all microwaves in Quckie marts had pacemaker warnings? When was the last time you saw one? Pacemakers are probably shielded much better that they used to be. Knowing car manufacturers and lawyers, if there were ANY chance of an adverse affect, there would be a warning sticker on the keyfob. If you are really concerned, I'd ask Toyota. Even my 100 watt ham radios that pull 30 amps do not have pacemaker warnings.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    people with pacemakers are advised not to turn on the smartkey system... you can turn it off with a button under the steering wheel and just use the remote control instead.

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Jun 2 2007, 09:58 PM) [snapback]454148[/snapback]</div>
    This is a standard warning dealing with RF devices and pacemakers. If you want to be completely safe, follow the advice. If it were my heart and pacemaker, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tom

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is your father-in-law allowed around cell phones? Hard to believe the SKS (which runs for many years on a tiny wristwatch battery) could interfere with a pacemaker.

Bottom line: Ask your father-in-law's cardiologist.

Toyota probably puts the warning in there to protect itself from lawsuits. Of course, as galaxee says, you can always turn the SKS off via the little button under the dash below the steering wheel any time your father-in-law will be in the car.

7. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 2 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]454204[/snapback]</div>
    I would think that bluetooth devices would be a bigger threat than the SKS. They have considerablely more range (generally 30-100 ft vs. 3-10 for SKS) and may be anywhere at anytime. Daniel's advice is good.

8. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks to all for your advice. I shall check the links, the doctor and Toyota for further info. I did not realize that you could turn the system off - not yet having the car or its owner manual. We hope to take delivery in about two weeks, and we are really looking forward to the car! this is the first time I've gotten excited about a car since I got a Honda CRX, some twenty years ago.
    This Forum, BTW, seems full of both good people and good answers. Think I'll stick around!

Respectfully. . .LarryR

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Also, it's not the FOB, it's the SKS system in the car, call it the "base station" that is referred to. You can't turn off the FOB unless you remove the battery.

10. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Jun 3 2007, 11:48 AM) [snapback]454383[/snapback]</div>
    OK, got it, with thanks. Sounds like I have a LOT to learn when my Prius (finally) gets here!

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How old is the pacemaker?

My dad has an IAD (defribrillator, similar to a pacemaker). He has a Lexus LS430 with SKS and has no problems.