1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart key - how to avoid ever replacing again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kvitulano, Dec 3, 2006.

1. kvitulano

kvitulano New Member

I'm livid because I just came from my dealer (Putnam Toyota, Burlingame, CA) and discovered its costing me over $420 for a replacement smart key. ($282 for the key, and another $144 for them to program it - greedy dealers - I understand it only takes a few minutes!!).

Anyway, I want to avoid ever having to do this again, so I'm wondering how it works. The metal key that slips out - first of all - are these duplicatable at a regular key shop? Then, can I use that and leave the fob inside the ignition so it essentially functions like a regular car key (in other words, open the door with the metal key and insert it into the fob left permanently in the ignition to start it). This presumes that the fob will not work if the metal key is not in it, but I dont know if this is true.

I also was reading on this site that the key fob can be concealed in the car in a metal box and then taken out and used. Is this also an option then - where I use the metal key to get in the door, and take the fob out of the metal box, insert metal key and then insert into ignition? This certainly takes away the convenience of the smart key system, but I don't see many other choices. But not really understanding how it works, maybe I'm missing something. Any ideas? The main thing is that I don't ever want to buy a replacement smart key again.

Also, this gauging that the dealers are doing to consumers is wrong, and Toyota is apparently one of the worst offenders. See http://www.autosafety.org/uploads/phpDrufx...FTCPetition.pdf

2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Simple, don’t lose it.

Before you get mad…. I'm looking for mine too. I haven't seen it since before Thanksgiving. I wouldn’t leave it in you car though because you would be one broken window away from a stolen car. If I ever find mine again, I will need to remember to not lose it. If you haven’t gotten it yet look for one on the internet sometimes they are on ebay. Then you only have to pay for re-programming. That should save you $200.00.

I just found this, you may be able to just add the transmiter to your prius without paying them the $144.00.

http://www.coastaletech.com/transmitters.htm

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I just saw that was your first post. Welcome! Great to have you here.

4. kvitulano

kvitulano New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Dec 3 2006, 03:02 AM) [snapback]356902[/snapback]</div>

Actually, since this is a smart key, not a transmitter, I think its this site:
    http://www.coastaletech.com/keys.htm

But I'm still wondering how the metal key interacts with the fob. If I go to a key shop and get the key cut and put it in my new fob and do the door opening and closing, etc., I can actually program the key myself? This doesn't seem right, based on other things I've read on the internet, which said you needed a special instrument. Anyone know?

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Karen,
    An almost new Smart Key fob can be had on eBay for $120. The programming (if you still have the other one), can be done easily with instruction (bidding $5 on eBay). If you also lost the other one (both are lost), then it gets more complicated.

You asked about how it works. There is a base station in your Prius constantly emits EM signal searching for transponders (your fobs). If the encripted codes match, the base station identifies you as an owner, therefore you have access to your Prius. The communication is wireless (of course), not Bluetooth.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the metal key has nothing to do with the rest of the fob, it's there as an emergency mechanical key to unlock the car if your fob battery should die. you use the metal key to unlock the door, and inserting the fob in the dash will turn the car on even with a dead fob battery.

so no, removing the metal key will not remove smartkey function, and leaving the fob in the dash is one way of asking to have your car stolen, around here the car wouldn't last a couple of hours.

the metal keys can be duplicated like a regular key, with a key cutter. the fob does need to be programmed with the toyota scantool. as ceric said, you can find smartkey fobs much cheaper than what you paid, and if you shop around at dealers and play them off each other you should be able to pick up a better deal for the programming.

and no, it will not cost you $2000 if you lose both keys.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How did you lose the original?

8. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

If you hide a spare fob in the car make sure you take out the battery. Otherwise the SKS system
    will not work. The fob will work fine without the battery if you insert it in the slot.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Dec 5 2006, 06:43 PM) [snapback]358253[/snapback]</div>
    No just wrap it in heavy duty aluminium foil several layers and it will be fine. It is still a theft risk if the thief knows what to look for and what to do. Also you still have to manually lock the car. I would not do it but it can be done.

10. brucem5755

brucem5755 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(karen v @ Dec 3 2006, 02:51 AM) [snapback]356899[/snapback]</div>

I paid about $170 from streetkeys.com for a new fob (about $60 less than the dealer wanted). Programming was $47. Shop around, sounds like they were inflating the prices..

As some have said ebay can be a less expensive option if you don't mind used.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Dec 3 2006, 05:12 AM) [snapback]356913[/snapback]</div>
    WRON WRON, ABSOLUTELY WRONG. The dealer has a (best used price of $1,500) special programing tool and it can EASLLY take an hour to program the smart key / ignition. I've been through this voodoo process and it CAN go teribly wrong, for the dealer ... programing the doors to unlock ... programing the ignition, programing the remote unlock. I watched the guy and it is no easy task. In other words, DO NOT pay $5 for instructions, unless you want to waste $5. No slam on ceric intended, but look up old threads ... ask the DanMan, etc. You will see many confirm this is NO five doller process.

But yes, you can get the fob for as low as $120. The dealer will likely throw in the key cut for free. You CAN get a spare toyota key at Ace hardware or most anywhere else. Makes for a good emergency spare if you want to hide one for entry under the car in a magnetic container. THEN you also have to have a fob hidden in the car. Here's where I hide mine ..... just kidding.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Dec 5 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]358258[/snapback]</div>
    One cool thing about one of my fobs dieing was that the only function remaining was the ignition function, by placing it in the dash (no more remote or smart function) thus, no foil necessary!

12. fphinney

fphinney Member

There is some good information on this post.

I have convinced the little lady that we need a good backup door key/ignition activation system. Imagining ourselves a hundred miles from home with a lost fob, helped. I had a replacement key cut at my local locksmith's. I had to almost plead with with them! This 'newby' claimed that ONLY the dealer can cut duplicate Prius keys. I told him to wait a minute! This key that I want duplicated does NOT have an electronic chip it! He finally agreed. I've hidden this new sacrificial key in a magnetic box outside the car. (It was not easy to find a good metal surface to stick it on. Using a flashlight really helped.)

I removed the battery from our spare fob. (Instructions for this process are in your owner's manual.) If you spend some time, thinking of possibilties of where to stash this spare fob, I'm sure you can come up with a good place.

Good luck,

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Dec 5 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]358304[/snapback]</div>
    um. takes 10 minutes or so with a scantool and knowing Wth you're doing. scantool precludes the toyota rain dance.

charge is .5 hours over here, or $40.

but yes, to program the immobilizer it needs to go to the dealer.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Dec 7 2006, 01:51 AM) [snapback]358765[/snapback]</div>
    that's the point MANY of them don't know what they're doing. My experience is only about 50% get it right the 1st time.

15. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    LOL, you lost the key and its the dealer's fault? I wanna live in your world. Are there magical unicorns and rivers of chocolate too?

Look, technology is expensive. One of the caveats of having the extremely wonderful convienience of a smart key (as someone who doesn't have one on his primary car and DOES on his secondary car, believe me they are great) is that the technology is valuable and expensive to replace. The system also has a lot of anti-theft technology built in and requires time, and an extremely expensive peice of equpment to program the system to accept the new key. I would assume you're not interested in having your car easily stolen right? (although based on the insane idea about leaving your key in the car all the time to avoid a $400 replacement while at the same time almost assuring theft of a $23000 asset then maybe I am assuming incorrectly)

I carry many things on my person that are expensive. I have a Blackberry, that cost $400. I have a $2100 laptop. I have a wallet with cash.You know what it would cost to replace my Blackberry? $400. Laptop? $2100. Wallet? The cost of the cash and the wallet. Its not Blackberry, Dell, or Coach's responsibility to make their technology affordable or to protect me from loosing it. You bought a car with a smart key and you lost the key. Your fault, no one else's. Maybe next time you should buy something cheaper and with less advanced technology. Saturns are nice, so are Kias.

16. kvitulano

kvitulano New Member

As the original poster of this message, I just wanted to thank everyone (the helpful people, not the last snide one) for the info on how the metal key works and the tips about the correct amount for the key. At $282, its clear that my dealer overcharged me for the replacement key, but that damage was done. I had an appointment for the programming at $144 but after reading the posting about calling dealers and playing them off each other, I found another dealer who only charged me $40. I didn't know there would be such a difference. So as a result of this board, I saved $100. And appreciate the tip about streetkeys.com in case I (or more accurately my husband) looses it again.

:)

17. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I apologize for being snide, I just don't have any tolerance for people that blame others for things that they themselves are responsible for (i.e. blaming Toyota for having technology thats expensive and accusing them of stealing from consumers because you couldn't hold onto your key). Glad it worked out.

18. nvmyprius

nvmyprius New Member

I just wanted to throw two cents in here about dealers, i myself work at one. the reason the charge an hour is because a immoblizer can be locked thus causing a tech to lose time/money. luckly i am at an hourly store where most incl putnum is flat rate. also the price reflects on your service advisor as if i flagg (time used on job) .2 (12 mins) and if the advoser is a goodfella alot of time might just charge you a 1/2 hour. but that is a gamble, depends if they have met there quotta or $ erned for that month. also being kinda new to this site let everyone know i work at vw but owner also has scion and toyota, so if i dont know the awnsers ill ask at our other dealerships. thanks

19. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've skimmed this thread and I've come to the conclusion that loosing a Prius key is a very expensive affair. I suppose that is the obvious statement of the day. However, I've seen varying pricing for keys and fobs. If you think the price at one dealer is too high, call another. I'd comparison price at least 3 dealers. Also, never tell them you lost the key. Tell them that you are purchasing an extra. Why? Because if you lost a key, you are letting them know that you are purchasing under duress. However, if you are just looking to have an extra, you are not in a hurry or under duress and are interested in getting a competitive price.

For those that are interested in keeping an extra key someplace on the vehicle with one of those magnetic key storage boxes, my best advice is to get an additional key programmed to the vehicle. Then, remove the battery from the key. This is especially necessary with Smart Key equipped vehicles so that the key does not transpond with the vehicle and confuse the Smart Key system. Then place key in a small plastic zipper bag to prevent it from being totally exposed to the elements, especially moisture and humidity, and then into the magnetic box.

Now you have both the key that will function in the ignition, and a physical key to turn the door lock tumbler so you can get in.

20. jimnjo

jimnjo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    When we bought our Prius the salesperson told us to guard the fob with our lives...that it is expensive to replace (and apparently, there is a limit on how many they *can* replace which, if true, would require replacing a major system in the vehicle).

Maybe I am missing something here, but why take the battery out of the fob if leaving it in the car? Can't you simply disable the 'smart' function (easy switch under the steering wheel) to get the same effect?
    Jim