1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key Issues.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Luv07Prius, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Luv07Prius

Luv07Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey Everyone!

I am having a little problem with my smart key. When I approach my 07 Prius, you know how you're supposed to press the black button on the handle and it's supposed to just unlock the door; it is not doing that. It opens just fine when you press the unlock button on the smart key but not when you approach and unlock it. Another thing, it does not turn on without having the key in the slot. I bought the car with hopes of it doing all of the above, but its not doing it. :( I don't carry a cell phone on me so that's not a problem. Any suggestions? :confused:

Thanks!!

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The black button on the door handle is to lock the door. The sensor to unlock the door is on the backside of the handle. The way you describe your problem is that you are actually locking the door when trying to unlock it.

As far as needing to put the fob in the slot, make sure you have not pressed the button under the steering column which turns off the SKS. The button should be in the 'out' position for SKS to work.

3. Luv07Prius

Luv07Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    THANK YOU Firepa63!!!

I went to the car and made sure that the SKS button beneath the steering wheel was in the out position which it wasn't, so I pushed it and now it works PERFECT!!! Very happy! (It was probably moved when I took it to be detailed). Thanks alot!:D

4. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Next time if it's not the switch under the dash, it's probably the key fob battery, which lasts 4-5 years.

5. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rather than having to press the Unlock button on the remote smart key, all you have to do is walk up to the car and open the door. If SKS is turned on, you don't need to push any buttons to open the front doors and hatchback door, the car is "smart," it recognizes you, as long as you have the smart key on you, that is, it recognizes the key and unlocks automatically for you.