1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

smart key: need new rubber membrane

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by labumm, Jun 11, 2009.

1. labumm

labumm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The rubber membrane covering the buttons on my smart key (2004 Prius) has torn from wear exposing the push button switch and the PC board. (I have carried it in my pocket since Dec 2003.)

It looks like I could peel off the entire membrane and adhere a new one.

Any one had this problem?

Is a replacment membrane available?

Thanks in advance.

--Lloyd
    [​IMG]

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a first, I don't know.

Did you try your Toyota dealer for advice?

How about an ebay fob and swap out the insides?
    I'm not sure if it can be done, anyone?

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If cosmetics is not a concern maybe you could try silicone sealant. Good luck! :)

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Swapping the circuit board and transponder to a good case would be the cheapest way to fix it. A new keyfob + programming would run $250+, while a used keyfob about $50. Any used keyfob would do - 2004, 2005+, black, silver. The case is the same for all of them, and you could keep the old silver logo piece if you want.

Disassembly starts the same way as replacing the battery. Once you've removed the mechanical key, the sliding panel (with the logo), and the battery, you can then split open the case. A pair of needle nose pliers inserted into the cavity where the mechanical key goes can be used. Just apply enough opening force to crack the adhesive joining the two halves. Then slide a dull knife or screwdriver all the way around the join until the two halves are completely separated

The adhesive is no longer sticky, so you'll need to scrape it out and use new glue to reassemble the case. Ordinary white glue (Elmer's or similar) will do, and could be cracked open again in the future.

Inside the case you'll find a circuit board and a transponder chip. The transponder chip is an independent device that is not connected to the circuit board. It is the mechanism used when the keyfob is inserted into the dash.

Be sure to swap both the circuit board and the transponder chip into the new case. The circuit board from the used keyfob is worthless, so you may as well discard it. You could put the used keyfob transponder into the broken case, reassemble it, and use it as a dumb keyfob that only works in the keyslot. You can program the car to accept an additional transponder with the first procedure described in http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...lly-how-program-non-sks-key-fob-detailed.html

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. labumm

labumm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    RobH,
    That is a very reasonable solution. I'll look around for a used fob.
    Thanks,
    --Lloyd

6. GaryGarland

GaryGarland New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'd consider using modeling rubber cement - you know, the stuff that comes in a brown jar, has a screw lid with a "paint brush" and really stinks? it dries rubbery - so i think it would fill voids and add some waterproofing - if you used elmers, i don't think it would fill the voids as well - and besides, the modeling stuff is flexible, whereas elmers generally is not.
    i've had car remotes in my pocket when i stupidly went swimming, or just had sweat in my pocket or getting hit with a water hose/etc. - believe me, water proofing (or at least water resistance) is beneficial
    just my .02

7. Henry Bittner

Henry Bittner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can someone tell me where exactly the RFID chip is in the a 2005 silver fob? I looked for it but thought it might be in the plastic of the case somewhere. Thanks, Henry