1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key opens all doors except driver's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ebsmythe, Mar 31, 2008.

1. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is there an easy solution to the problem or do I go to my Toyota dealer for a warranty repair on my 2007 package 5 Prius?

After I successfully lock my car using the small button on the handle of any smart-key door, when I come back to my car and place my hand on the inside of the driver's door handle the car does not unlock. However, when I move to the back hatch and touch the sensing pad it does beep and unlock. Then I can return to the driver's door and it is unlocked.

It seems that the sensing pad on the driver's handle is out of action.

Is my diagnosis reasonable? Is there something else I should try?

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It could also be the exterior sensor of the driver-side that is broken. Try this.
    At night time, walk toward your Prius from the driver side. The interior light should
    turn on automatically. If yes, your sensor should be OK, then it could be the touch pad.
    If no, then it could be the sensor is not "sensing" your presence.
    Very likely, one of the two, touch pad or sensor.

3. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks, Ceric for helping me to narrow down the problem. Since we have 2 2007 Prii it was easy to compare them. On the good one the interior light turns on as it senses my approach. On the problem one the light remains off and the car cannot be unlocked by touching the sensing pad.

Thanks to you I can advise my dealer that the proximity sensor is the problem and not the sensing pad.

My fear is that the Canadian dealer sees so few Prii up here that they will not have anyone who can fix it. We'll soon see.

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The SKS sensor is in a plastic white box (w/ Tokai-rika name on it). You can easily see the one for the hatch next to the spare tire. The one for the door should be inside the door panel. Good luck.