1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart key problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Duke, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Duke

Duke New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 3 smart keys and on 2 of them the function where you can unlock and lock the doors from outside the car by pushing in the spot on the smart key does not work. The functions to unlock by touching the door handle and to lock by pushing the button in the door handle works fine and the function to start and operate the car with the key not in the ignition slot (e.g. in your pocket instead) works. All functions of the 3rd key work. I have tried replacing batteries in all keys.
    My question is whether there is any benefit to having the dealer check the malfunctioning keys on the dealers computer for $105. I am figuring that the dealer's computer will not, or is very unlikely, to reveal any way that the malfunctioning keys can be made fully functional (by reprogramming or any other dealer fix) and that if I want another fully functioning key, I should just buy one and not spend additional money just to be told the 2 keys cannot be fixed.
    I am thinking that something has likely worn out and the only repairs that can be made to these keys is replacing the battery or reprogramming the chip or whatever is in there.
    Thanks for any help in figuring out whether it is a waste of $105 to have the dealer check the keys on their computer.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be the button is worn out. perhaps, when you disassemble it to check the battery, you can press on the inner button that the outer button puses on. sometimes, the outer buttons wear out and don't press properly.