1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key Problems (Unlatching itself) & Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bottomfeeder, Feb 26, 2010.

1. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has anyone else had a problem with a smart key fob unlatching itself from the key? My wife lost her key when it became detached by itself in her purse and then disappeared somehow in the course of a business trip.

According to her this happened once or twice before and she thought nothing of it. I looked at my fob and the latch seemed tight and it took a deliberate motion to unlatch it. She says her's was never that tight.

We have the key and now have to replace the whole fob. Does anyone know if the fobs are compatible with any other models? Any suggestions for where is the cheapest place to buy a new replacement fob?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mailmandolin

Mailmandolin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought the leather fob holder at the Toyota parts department. Some other Prius owner told me to get one because when it was in his pocket, the other keys broke the button on the fob so he had to get a new key. About $10 is worth it to me so I don't have to get a new one.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like your wife had a defective key fob. I'd think it'd be replaced under warranty, but I'm afraid it's too late for that as it's now lost.

4. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put my all alone keys in a closed pocket and my wife put them in a small purse in her handbag.

5. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here. I think the key is very secure in the fob especially the fob is dependent on the key being secure otherwise you will lose the fob or the keys since all the keys are attached to the fob.

I think the button was pressed accidentally, which caused the key and the fob to separate. I doubt it is a lose connection or faulty fob issue though because I've had mine for 6 months without problem and my wife uses hers and she puts hers in her handbag as well.

6. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think your wife is probably afraid that you might get upset if she lost the key so she came up with the notion that hers are never that tight. :)
    If you lost the key why do you need to change the FOB? You can just live without one set of manual keys, I've never used them anyway.

7. richard13

richard13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    May be defective or just a freak accident. My fob is so secure I had to work at it to get the key out to show a friend.

8. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

No, you don't know my wife. Or me.;)

As stated, it is the fob that is missing.

I have another car with an expensive fob, too, and it is shameful that these simple transponders are so expensive to replace. Obviously, very profitable.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Gen3 key is a bit of a PITA to remove from the fob. IMO the Gen2 design was better. I use the key all the time. If I lost the fob I'm not sure I'd pay to replace it.