1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key Quit Working????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bikeman, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Bikeman

Bikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, I'm scratching my head over this one. Yesterday my son and I cleaned up the Prius. It sat for about an hour with all the doors and hatchback open while we did a major clean on the interior. When I got back in to move it into the garage, it would not respond when I hit the power button. I got the other key, no change. So then I put the key in, it fired right up. At this point, my Smart Key function appears to be disabled, I have read all through the manual and either I am missing it or it does not address this issue. What has happened :cry: and how do I fix it??

Thanks in advance,

bikeman

2. prius04

prius04 New Member

You hit the magic button when you cleaned the car. There is a disable the SKS button down by your knee. You can find it at the edge of the dashboard down near where you knee would be. It is roughly straight down from the steering wheel.

It's also an enable the SKS button.

Go press it.

3. Bikeman

Bikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Badabingbadaboom!!! Got I love easy fixes! Thanks much!!

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: S I G H

Page 32 of the "2004 Owner's Manual" - "Deactivating the Smart Function"

324 pages of helpful information... makes very useful reading.

5. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's all right. Thankfully it was a silly mistake :)

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Don't feel so bad. I have forgotten a couple of times that I had turned off SKS, and freaked out the next time I tried to drive my car.
    The first time was after I returned from a cruise a week later. Thougth my aux battery was dead, but then thought that's not possible, the dome light is quite bright, even when pressing the brake.
    Then the :idea: , turn on the SKS silly!

Another time I was doing an experiment one night, and forgot to put it back on. Next morning "Wahh :!: " then "Doh!" :oops:

7. wstander

wstander New Member

A similar problem this morning. I had to go get a security badge renewed and when I exited and tried to lock the car (2005/pkg#6), nothing happened. Took the key out and manually locked the car. Upon my return, I unlocked the car with the key, but the car would not start (gave the key-fob warning) until I inserted the fob in to the hole.
    I thought little of it until I got back to my normal office parking space as there are so many stray RFI sources near the main gate and flightline that other fobs have failed to perform before. Upon return, I again experienced the same failure, but this time I held the black button about 20X longer and it worked. I also verified the fob's buttons, and they too took a longer than 'normal' time to react.

(Thanks to reading the manual BEFORE and also PriusChat comments, I knew how to do these things!;-)

As I have had this car only 30 days, is it normal for the battery to fail so soon? Or is something more dire about to happen?