1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key re-programing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pjconner, Apr 20, 2006.

1. pjconner

pjconner New Member

I bought a smartkey on ebay because we lost one of our original keys.

I knew the dealer had to program the key, but I was quoted $150 by my local dealer, they say it is 2 hours labor. That seems high! Has anyone had this done? Was it that expensive?

Thanks,

Patrick

2. pjconner

pjconner New Member

No one has had this done? Really? :eek:

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, a few have, but not many. I think quotes for the programming were in the $80-120 range so $150 does seem a tad high, but the others who had it done purchased the part from their dealer so that may have affected the price.

It is a little involved, hard to imagine it would take a full 2 hours, but they have the tool, you don't, they take the risk if they mess something up. It's a pricy feature and to keep it secure adds complexity.

I suggest calling around to price shop if you have any other dealers in your area...might save you $50-70.

4. pjconner

pjconner New Member

Thanks for the response. I initially thought it would be about $50. I thought the dealer was yanking me around a little, but your description of the complexity comforts me.

Fortunately I bought a smartkey for $70 and saved $200 over retail price. But it is still a very expensive thing to lose!