1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key Recognition Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jerif47a, May 17, 2007.

1. Jerif47a

Jerif47a New Member

I have a 2007 Prius. I have about 3000 miles on the car. I drove the car and locked it. When I returned, I had to use the key to unlock the door. Also, the car would not start unless I inserted the FOB.

I brought it to the dealer. They have had it for 4 days and have not resolved the problem. They replaced the main computer and told me it was fixed. The doors unlock, but it still does not start without inserting the FOB. Car is still at the dealers. How long does it take to fix a computer problem??

This is getting very frustrating.

Anyone else having this kind of problem???

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JeriF @ May 17 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]444553[/snapback]</div>
    Given that the dealer has already replaced a computer, I hesitate to even suggest this, but is it possible that the little button below the steering wheel got pushed to turn off the SKS feature? It seems improbable that a dealer would replace a whole computer without checking a button, but stranger things have been known to happen.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just guessing, but I think your dealer is just guessing... have they called their help line? That's way too much time if they knew what they were doing.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JeriF @ May 17 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]444553[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to P.C. ! !
    Yes, the exact same thing . . . read one of my first threads. It became one major saga. After replacing the ECU, AND one of the FOB's though, all was normal again. I didn't use the smart function for about a year. When I finally did (and then had to get it fixed) start using the smart function, BOOM ~ I couldn't go back to the old way.

5. cowboy

cowboy New Member

&quot;Mountain Empire&quot; region of southeastern
    Betelgeuse wondered if the button under the steering wheel might need to be pushed to the correct position.

Well, just yesterday I started having the identical problem as described by JeriF on my '06. I was going to bring it to the dealer this coming week. So after reading Betelgeuse's reply I went out to the Prius, pushed that li'l button (to the "out", or longer pin, position - which seems counterintuitive to me) and it repaired the function of the smart key! Thank you Mr. B!

6. Ehash

Ehash New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JeriF @ May 17 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]444553[/snapback]</div>
    I just took delivery of my 2007 4 days ago, and that evening I noticed the exact same problems!! Today was the first day I could get it to the dealer, and they have had it all day. They spent the day reprogramming my fobs, THEN trying new fobs, all to no avail. As of this evening, they say they are on with their help line for details (as well as confirmation/ok to do this because it's such an expensive warranty replacement), and they will be replacing the ECU/computer and the fobs so all should be well. I guess I'm lucky it didn't take them 4 days to come to this conclusion!

I plan on becoming as lazy as possible and using every smart function available to me. B)

Good luck with your car!

~Emily

7. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ehash @ Jun 12 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]460469[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure the SKS wasn't turned off? It's the button under the dash below the steering wheel.

8. Ehash

Ehash New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(firepa63 @ Jun 13 2007, 08:03 PM) [snapback]461235[/snapback]</div>

Oh yes, that's the first thing I checked.... and the technicians checked.... and now the entirely new system is on order for my brand new car.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ehash @ Jun 14 2007, 06:58 AM) [snapback]461458[/snapback]</div>
    Did anyone think to check or replace the batteries in the fobs? Always remember to check the stupid stuff before you start tearing the car apart.

10. Inches

Inches Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 14 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]462035[/snapback]</div>
    Or simple stuff as the case may be...

11. pkhoury

pkhoury Proud TDI owner

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 14 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]462035[/snapback]</div>
    I noticed that my remote doesn't work that great unless I'm reasonably close. So I'm thinking a battery issue probably?

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pkhoury @ Jun 17 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]463537[/snapback]</div>
    Is the "reasonably close" distant rather constant? Some places have so much interference that a fob may not work at all. If the range is steadily declining it may be the fob's battery. I don't use the buttons on the fob so I don't know what the unit's range is.

13. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Just a little side note on SKS. Did you know that once a smart key has been programmed to one car, it cannot be programmed to a different car? They are a one shot deal. The odd thing is they can be programmed to control the immobiliser of another car and run it when in the slot, but the SKS function will only work with the original car. This is also true of Avalon and Camry with SKS. The key fobs are only programmable ONE TIME. (Experiance is a cruel teacher, but an effective one.)