1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key Replacement questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by philwojo, Jun 26, 2008.

1. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a question about the Smart Key system and needing to get a replacement key.

A little background. My wife lost her key at work on her TCH, but since it is the same system I am posting in here and I have a Prius. She was able to start the car, so we know she had it close to the car to get it started and then she drove home. She got home, did some stuff, and then went to go out and no key. She looked and tried the bags it could be in by putting them in the car, no luck, the car would not start.

Now we have the 2nd key, but we probably will want to get a replacment if no one turns in the key at her job.

Our concern is not the cost of the replacement key, but does anyone know what it will cost to reprogram the spare key and the new key with a new code so the "lost" key can not be used on her car by someone that may have it and is just walking around?

thanks,
    Phil

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If she was able to start the car, the key wasn't close to the car, it was in the front of the car. The SKS knows the difference between a key close by but outside, one in the hatch area, and a key in the driver's area.

Take that information and rethink where it might be.

Tom

3. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well we looked in the car and nothing there, nothing around the garage area she parks in at home.

Can't start the car again, without the 2nd key, so not sure what else it can be. It is not in the car for sure, or it would have started when she tried to leave the house and I wasn't there with the 2nd key.

But ignoring all that any thoughts on my other question on the cost of reprogramming the keys to new codes?

Phil

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You don't reprogram the keys, you program the car. Each Prius can recognize up to four SKS fobs. When you loose one, the dealer can remove that fob from the car's computer and program the car to recognize a new fob. It's up to the dealer what they will charge, but I would expect them to charge for about and hour's worth of labor. The bigger expense will be the new fob - they are quiet pricey. Some people have been able to buy Prius fobs from eBay, but you need to make sure to get the correct type, and then you need to get a new metal key.

Tom

1 person likes this.