1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

smart key replacements

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bigboy, Sep 4, 2007.

1. bigboy

bigboy New Member

Well we've had the car 2 months and already lost one smart key (smart key,...not so smart owners )
    do parts depts at toyota stock these, and can they program them if you bring the car in? I just called mine and they seemed unsure as to how we'd go about buying an additional unit ( or 2 !)
    input please!!

go Colts!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, they have them, or can order one, and yes, the dealer can program the car to accept the new key.

Tom

3. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Call around to get programming prices--they can vary from $30 to well over $100!!! I believe you can get fobs through partznet.com or metrotpn.com for around 25% off, but maybe your dealer would match that price.

If you live where all the dealers charge high programming prices, consider taking a road trip to a nearby (or maybe not so nearby!) town to have it done.

I keep my spare fob hidden in the car (battery out because I have a Smart Key fob) and a spare door key hidden on the outside for emergencies (i.e. if my purse gets lost or stolen).

4. mbg66

mbg66 New Member

Don't be embarassed about losing a smart key ... I've lost BOTH of mine and need advice.

We took the car to the dealer, who was able to program 1 fob completely but can't get the 2nd fob programmed beyond the ignition. They've replaced the battery; have also tried a 3rd fob with the same results; and have successfully programmed the same fob on another Prius.

They've told us that they've spent a lot of time on this, had special technicians look at it, etc. (I believe them because we have a personal relationship with the owner.) They don't understand why one fob was able to be programmed completely but can't get a 2nd one to do so, but that the best explanation for the problem is that we had an accident & significant body work last year which must have messed up the computer system. They are also telling us that the computer system needs to be replaced in order to completely program the 2nd fob ($3,000).

Does anyone have any explanations and / or advice??

5. Springtime

Springtime Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mbg66 @ Sep 24 2007, 05:08 PM) [snapback]517091[/snapback]</div>
    How many have you lost and when? I seem to recall somewhere in the manual that there is a limit on how many fobs can be programed to a specific car. Four or five in total as I recall before you have to replace the computer system. So, if you count the original keys as 1 & 2 is it possible you have already replaced one or more keys in the past and with these two keys you are now over the total number of fobs that can be programed against this computer system?

Springtime

6. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you can clear all stored keys from the ECU and start over through TIS. no need to worry about filling all the memory slots, and no need to worry about replacing the whole system should you lose all the keys.

8. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My wife thought she lost hers (later found, thankfully). I checked ebay, and found several for much less than dealer, though you do need them get them programmed. How is it possible to lose so many keys? My wife rarely drives the car, but a car you use everyday, how can you lose the key?