1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

smart key signal weak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nakago12, Jul 1, 2011.

1. nakago12

nakago12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    my 2005 prius just passed 100K miles, recently i noticed the smart key signal is weaker and weaker. I.E. he car some times does not "feel" the key when it's in a thin bag, or pockets. or cup holder. while it definitely did a few years ago.

I switched the battery, (just generic ones) from a local drug store, and it didn't seem to help.

do i need new "OFFICIAL" battery ? or just new smart key altogether?

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there is no official battery. the generic 2032 from the drug store is the only option.

the only reason the prius has a special battery (12v) is because of the way everything vents. maybe something about the rate of charge but i don't remember... just going off physical things.

i've been noticing this myself too. i wondered if it was the door static sensors but there seems to always be a difference with it near change or being too tangled in the keys in my pocket, even a credit card being too close. It was only a problem with the phone previously.

i wondered about the static sensors since the hatch always works better than the door. the hatch errors 1 out of 60 times or so while the door will error 1 out of 10 times or so.

with the hatch, there are tricks... it's a button under a static pad (i think)... so you can slightly touch the rubber (you'll feel it slightly indent) and it will unlock the car as you walk around. i used to only use 1 finger on the door when now i use at least 3...

sometimes less grip and more of a swipe (thinking more sensor coverage) works better for me.

i have all sorts of little methods for my madness... i test little things like this all the time.

they have plastic lens cleaner... it's a polish.. i was thinking of using some on a door "sensor" (inner handle plastic). i would do test beforehand to see what changes if anything.