1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key Spares

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by walkabout73, May 2, 2005.

1. walkabout73

walkabout73 New Member

I'm very siked to be in the process of purchasing a 2005 Prius! Some reservations, however, about this Smart Key system. I asked about a spare key as we will have a few folks using the car and was told it would be $270 for another key! Anyone have experience with replacing Smart Keys or does anyone know if it is actually the case that you have to use a Smart Key as a spare? It seems ridiculous that one can't just have a remote keyless entry/key w/o the Smart Key technology... Any comments/ info are much appreciated. Thanks!!

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The car will come with 2 SKS fobs. You can have a total of 5 fobs registered with the Prius if you have SKS. The fobs do not have to be SKS compatable, though of course you won't have the wonderful SKS function with them; you'll have to use the wireless remote buttons to lock/unlock the doors, and put the fob in the slot to power up the car.

If the $270 includes registering it into the car (programming), then that's not a bad deal.
    There's a recent thread where someone got a good deal on a non-sks fob.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've been looking into this.

I don't have the SKS so you're cost may be higher. I called my dealership and they wanted $178 for the fob plus an extra $47 to program.

I found fobs at keylessride.com and they wanted $148. They say that includes programming instructions but I don't think you can program yourself, you have to take it in. But the fob is still less than the dealer.

Then I went to anythingtoyota.com and they're quoting $131 plus $7 for shipping. I'll still need the dealer to program it. They'll cut the key with the code (little silver tag). That's who I'm going with. Calling today in fact.

Yes, it's really expensive, but it's all part of the anti-theft design so I guess it's worth it. But I will instill the cost of the extra fob to my parents so they are not careless with it when I give it to them.

Personally, I'd like to see three fobs as the norm since it is so expensive to have extras made. It's not like a regular key you can get cut for $2 at Home Depot.

4. GAGendel

GAGendel Junior Member

My wife carries the spare and she is absolutely tickled pink that she doesn't have to wait for me to unlock her side. It's a perk that I didn't even think about.

I've seen unprogrammed fobs on ebay, but I like that anythingtoyota.com comes programmed.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Programmed fob vs unprogrammed fob? Although I have seen comments about fobs getting the program, it is actually the CAR that gets the programming. The fob puts out a psudo-random code using a known algorithm. Car follows that same algorithm, therefore can 'predict' the next 255 codes the fob could put out based on the last known code the fob put out.
    So the car is registered to accept the code from the fob, and it is stored in the car's memory. This is the way most modern garage doors work, and is why Homelink works with rolling code garage door openers.

6. GAGendel

GAGendel Junior Member

Thanks DanMan for setting me straight. So, in theory you can do your own programming for a new fob?

Is this the reason for the 5 key limit too?

Learning about this car is like peeling an onion. Layers and layers of information.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I am not sure about doing your own programming. I think it can be done for the alarm/door function, but not for the immobilizer.

Yes, the SKS version of the security ECU has 5 slots.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, it doesn't.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GAGendel\";p=\"87111)</div>
    I think you misread me. The fob from anythingtoyota.com does NOT come programmed. They'll just cut the spare key for it. As far as I can tell no fob comes programmed. I have to take it to the dealer for that. But the fobs at anythingtoyota.com are cheaper than any others I've found so far. And keep in mind mine is NOT the SKS system but just the plain old option 1 system.

BTW if you decide to buy a fob from anythingtoyota.com, tell Bill G. that you read about it here at Priuschat from Mary. It doesn't hurt to let them know about Priuschat.

9. RoboChemE

RoboChemE New Member

I'll be getting my prius (#3) this week, hopefully. In my other cars, I keep a spare key in one of those magnetic Hide a Key boxes - in case I lose the primary key.

If I put the Smart Key fob in the Hide a Key box, I'll never be able to lock the car!! So, is there a backup system in case of a lost key?

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do what someone else suggested.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RoboChemE\";p=\"87399)</div>
    Go ahead and keep just a key in the hide-a-key box.

Hide a fob in your car but take the battery out. The car will still lock and the fob will work if you put it in the slot.

As much as they hate it, my parents are my backup. It's the price they pay for having a key to my car.

11. RoboChemE

RoboChemE New Member

Re: Do what someone else suggested.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva\";p=\"87414)</div>
    Go ahead and keep just a key in the hide-a-key box.

Hide a fob in your car but take the battery out. The car will still lock and the fob will work if you put it in the slot.

As much as they hate it, my parents are my backup. It's the price they pay for having a key to my car.[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the advice, but I still have a question. I've only test drove the Prius and I got the impression that the fob was the key. Are you suggesting putting a battery-less fob in the hide a key compartment or is there a conventional key that I can put in the hide a key?

Thanks,

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes.

The conventional key will only get you in the car. You can't start a Prius with a conventional key. So put the conventional key in the hide-a-key box on the outside of the car.

You need the fob to start the car. You can't lock the car if there is a fob with a battery in it inside the car. So take the battery out of the fob and hide it in the car. The fob will still work if you put it in the slot to start the car. But without the battery the fob will not lock or unlock the car. That's why you hide it inside the car and hide the conventional key outside the car.

13. GAGendel

GAGendel Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RoboChemE\";p=\"87621)</div>
    You're right, but you need some more information. The fob is the SKS key that let's you open the doors and start the car. On the fob there is a standard key that will only open the door. If the battery goes dead on the fob, you can use the standard key to open the door and the fob can still be used to start the car by inserting it in the fob-key slot.

What Godiva said was that you can take the battery out and put it inside the car. Then you can hide the normal key in the hide-a-key and use it to gain entrance to the car and then use the fob with the battery out to start the car if needed.

14. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    :crazyeyes: WHOA! Key in, fob out, battery out, key out :crazyeyes:

it's WAAAayyyyyyyyy too late to be reading this thread. I just don't plan on losing my FOB!

15. ElectricBaby

ElectricBaby New Member

For we prius neophytes, where do they hide the battery on the fob and how do you remove it?

Thanks

16. ammiels

ammiels New Member

I had a key cut in Home Despot for under $2 then filed off most of the handle. I carry this in my wallet. I wrapped the spare fob in heavy aluminum foil (roaster pan) and hid it inside the car ( I will not divulge spot). I did not remove the battery as it will neither receive nor transmit a signal. Having locked myself out of my car at Coney Island dressed only in a bathing suit with clothes and wallet in car I am somewhat sensitive to the problem.

17. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Page 36 of owner's manual:

For replacement, use a CR2032 lithium
    battery or equivalent and a special screwdriver.
    CAUTION
    Special care should be taken that
    small children do not swallow the removed
    battery or components.
    NOTICE
    When replacing the battery, be careful
    not to lose the components.
    Replace only with the same or
    equivalent type recommended by a
    Toyota dealer.
    Dispose of used batteries according
    to the local laws.
    Replace the battery by following procedures.

1. Remove the mechanical key and cover
    with slide the lock knob in the arrow
    direction.
    2. Remove the 4 screws to take out the
    lid of the module.
    NOTICE
    Do not bend the terminals.
    3. Remove the discharged battery and put
    in a new battery with positive (+) side
    up.
    NOTICE
    Make sure the positive side and
    negative side of the battery are
    faced correctly.
    Do not replace the battery with wet
    hands. Water may cause unexpected
    rust.
    Do not touch or move any components
    inside the transmitter, or it
    may interfere with proper operation.
    Be careful not to bend the electrode
    when inserting the battery and that
    dust or oils do not adhere to the
    case.
    4. Install the lid with the 4 screws.
    NOTICE
    Take care not to damage or bend the
    O–ring when installing.
    5. Replace the mechanical key and cover
    with slide the lock knob.
    After replacing the battery, check that the
    key operates properly. If the key still does
    not operate properly, contact your Toyota
    dealer

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Home Despot. I love it :mrgreen:

19. DieselConvert

DieselConvert Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :? If the car can be started without the battery in the fob, what is the battery there for?

20. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DieselConvert\";p=\"94274)</div>
    Remote lock/unlock, Smart Entry signal transmission...