1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

smart key switch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prnitz, Jan 31, 2013.

1. prnitz

prnitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was told by the dealer that if I was not going to drive my Prius for a few weeks to push the Key button under the steering column. But I'm unclear when I come back to drive it again do I have to push that button again for the Prius to pick up the smart key? Or do anything else in order to make it start when I come back from my trip?

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes you have to turn the smart key function back on. This function uses more 12 volt battery energy when turned on and if you are going to leave the vehicle for a few weeks could discharge the battery, more so when the battery is ageing and it's capacity declines. Your car if the battery is the original will be getting to this stage.

If you are going to leave the car for any length of time it would be advisable if possible to leave it with a battery tender connected, or if being left outside a solar charger connected direct to the battery. The type that plugs into the power outlet (lighter socket) will not work as the Prius disconnects this when the car is turned off.

John (Britprius)

HaroldW likes this.