1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key System? Is there a way to make a II act like a III?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Bmr4life, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    So in reading the toyota website, the II SKS only works at the drivers side door. For the III, it works with both front doors and the rear hatch. What would it take to give the II this ability?

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There have been a few write ups on this.

I believe you can program the single SKS system to unlock "everything" when unlocking the drivers door, unfortunately there are safety disadvantages to this decision.

As far as making a single door SKS system act like the 3 door system? I don't think the Prius II's even have the needed sensor's in the additional doors. So installation or upgrade would be pretty difficult or impossible. Infact, while I have read threads of people wanting to make it happen or complaining about the limitations of the single door SKS, I can't remember reading a thread where anyone claims to have successfully upgraded.

If you find one please share.

3. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks, that's what I was wondering.

My desire for this is when going to the hatch with stuff. Not having to get the key out of my pocket would be nice. I would program my SKS to unlock all doors since I carpool often. So I guess I could walk by the drivers door to unlock all, then go to the hatch while keeping my keys in my pocket.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe this is what you want, but it isn't for the faint of heart, and you have to buy some parts.

How to add SKS to the hatch and passenger door on a 1 door SKS Gen III Prius | PriusChat

Or, you can program your driver door handle SKS to unlock all doors by following the procedure in the manual to unlock all doors. IIRC, with the car in accessory mode, hold the lock and unlock buttons down on your fob till you hear a beep and you get a graphic of a car with all doors open on your multifunction display screen.

The Electric Me and Bmr4life like this.
  5. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thank you, I should have searched for SKS, not Smart Key System

6. Eroshan

Eroshan New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Gen2 2009 SKS will unlock all doors from the hatch and the front passenger door. If I want to unlock all doors without opening passenger door I use my key fob, two presses and unlocked. The 2009 with SKS has sensors in both front doors and hatch. If yours is not working, maybe you have a stuck fob button.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bmr4life likes this.
  8. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I don't actually own a Gen III yet. I'm in the planning stages and making sure I'll be okay with a II and not a III. I don't want to spend the extra on a III for a nav radio I'm going end up replacing.

9. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW my 2011 III just has one door SKS.

10. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, I'll be buying a 2013. The 2013 III has 3 door SKS. II has 1 door.

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Eroshan, my 2010 Camry has an SKS system like your 2009 gen 2 Prius, with sensors and buttons on the passenger door and rear trunk/hatch. Why Toyota skimped on the Prius SKS system on the Gen 3 is beyond me.

I have reprogrammed our SKS to unlock all doors from the single SKS in the driver's door handle. We then have to either hit the unlock button twice on the fob or touch the door handle on the driver's door first before opening the hatch.

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As did ours.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I did not know anyone even attempted this.

Honestly? I think Toyota should make 3 door access the minimum across the Prius line, but I suppose they want "differences" to justify cost increases among trim levels.