1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key System vs Pacemakers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FreddieVee, May 25, 2009.

1. FreddieVee

FreddieVee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I read the Previous Thread about Pacemakers with the Prius Smart Key System, but I was curious, have any of the forum members ever been effected or does anyone here know someone who has been effected?

I picked up my 2009 Level 5 Touring Model less than two weeks ago and now my cardiologist is talking about evaluating me for a pacemaker.

I realize that the previous thread is 3 years old and there have been changes in pacemakers and probably changes in the Smart Key System, but I would like to hear from anyone who has practical knowledge.

Years ago, I was evaluated for a pacemaker and I was told that I would have to retire from my job as an avionics (aviation electronics) technician because of the emissions from the devices that I worked on crawling around the electronics bays of commercial aircraft. But that was high powered equipment and I was surrounded by it. Luckily, they didn't think it necessary for a pacemaker at that time, but that was 15 years ago.

I also realize that if I require an implanted pacemaker, I might be able to select a pacemaker model that will not be effected by the model of the Smart Key System in my Prius.

Anyone effected or who knows someone effected?

FreddieVee

2. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know that my dad was evaluated for and has an ICD, a defribrillator which is basically a pacemaker that just doesn't operate all the time. He has two smart keys, both their cars a Lexus LS430 (should be the same system as the Prius) and an Infiniti FX35 have smart keys and they said it was no problem, nor has he ever had a problem...

1 person likes this.
  3. FreddieVee

FreddieVee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks.

Many times we are faced with warnings which are issued because of the CYA syndrome. Sometimes the warnings are dire. Telling which category any warning belongs in is one of the more difficult problems we (as a society) face.

FreddieVee

PS: Anyone else with first hand knowledge?