1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius2006rocks, Apr 20, 2006.

1. prius2006rocks

prius2006rocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I will be getting a Prius pretty soon. I am looking at the "Customized Body Electronics System" which was labeled something like "Customized Dealer Changes" on Yahoo! Prius group site. (I will try to attach this in case someone wants to see it or for clarification.) According to the paper, of the possible things that the dealer can change with their hand-held tester, one involved the Smart Key System.

It's on the third page and under Hand-Held Tester Display Content it says: SMART UNLOCK (SMART door unlock mode); under Contents it says: Setting an operation to unlock a door with SMART function; under Default it says: DRIVER'S; and finally under Selection it says: ALL/EACH/DRIVER'S

So my question is: without the dealer doing anything - what does the Smart Key System do as far as when you grab a handle to unlock the door(s) (Driver door, passenger door, rear hatch) Like when you grab the driver's door handle, does it JUST unlock that door or does it unlock all doors? How about when you grab the passenger or rear hatch handles?

I am basically just trying to figure out what it does and what those options the dealer can change the default (DRIVER'S) to: (ALL/EACH/DRIVER'S) would do. Any ideas?

Any other comments or suggestions regarding the other dealer changes that are possible (like what you would change if any) would be appreciated. (I just wanted to figure this out before I pick up the car so hopefully they can change things if needed before I take the car home) BTW - on Package 8 - the one I am ordering, it has Panic which I know AND does it have the function where if you lock the car, and open a door from the inside (as if someone had broken the glass and unlocked the inside door manually from the outside) the alarm will go off? Thanks so much!

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you can change this without going to the dealer. should come with default of only opening the driver's door when you touch the smart handle on the driver's door. touching eithe rof the other 2 opens all doors "driver".

you can change this to each handle opening the respective door and no others "each", or driver's door opening all doors upon grabbing the handle with touching any non-drivers-door handle still opening all doors "all".

to change the setting press the "lock" and "panic" buttons on the fob at the same time, the car will give you a quick double beep to confirm the change has been made. i don't recall the order in which it cycles.

3. prius2006rocks

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK thank you - anyone else able to clarify/explain more please! :)

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's pretty much it. On mine (default), if I grab the Driver's door, only the driver's door unlocks. If I grab either the Passenger or Hatchback door, all will unlock.

As mentioned above, you can change that so All will unlock when the driver's door is touched, or only the door you touch will unlock. It depends on how many people normally drive with you.

5. prius2006rocks

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well if the default is DRIVER'S, then I wonder what the ALL or EACH selections would do...

6. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2006rocks @ Apr 19 2006, 09:52 PM) [snapback]242508[/snapback]</div>
    ALL= Touch either Driver's, Passenger's or Hatchback and ALL unlock. By default, the Passenger's or Hatchback do that, but this adds the Driver's to that list. Good if you regularly drive with several people.

EACH= ONLY the door you touch (Driver's, Passenger's or Hatchback) will unlock. More secure that way, like in the days of the <shudder> regular key. :)

7. prius2006rocks

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OHHH I see. That makes sense. I'm not sure why they have it where the passenger and rear unlock all... is this convenient for you or if you could change to one of the other two would you? (BTW for the rear hatch has a SMART unlock sensor as do the others?)

Well for security I might change it to EACH, although DRIVER'S - what it's on now could be nice b/c if I am by myself, I can open mine only, and if I have others with me I can just have them open the passenger SMART door and then we can all get in right? So maybe this is the best one to be set to lol. (although... would the passenger have to have a SMART key by their door or would me being by the driver's door be close enough for them to open their door using the SMART unlock function?)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 19 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]242512[/snapback]</div>

8. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2006rocks @ Apr 19 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]242516[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, if it is set on DRIVER'S, the passenger door will not open via smart key unless the passenger has a smart key on him/her. Normally, either you (the driver) have to open the passenger side first (thereby unlocking all the doors), or, after opening your driver's door, reach in and touch the unlock end of the power lock switch on the door panel.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have it on DRIVER'S, IOW the default setting.

If I ever need to unlock all doors, I press the hatch once on the way to the driver's door as I approach the car from the rear.

10. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm normally by myself so I left it at default. I get in the driver's side and it's the only door that unlocks. When my wife is with me, I can open her side by grabbing the passenger's door. If we're going shopping, I can open the hatchback (which does have a sensor, but not as sensitive it seems), put the items in, while my wife gets into the car as the passenger's door is now unlocked. When my wife and my parents are going somewhere, by touching the passenger's door all doors are unlocked. If this were normal, I would have it set so when I touch the driver's door all unlock. This is mainly for those who have passengers on a regular basis.

If you are at the driver's door, your passenger wouldn't be able to unlock their door (assuming they don't have an SKS fob). You could unlock the driver's door, reach inside and push the unlock button. That would unlock all doors.

11. Kross

Kross New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 20 2006, 12:18 AM) [snapback]242495[/snapback]</div>
    That's invaluable!!! Now my fiance can quit whining that she always has to wait for me to unlock the doors before she can get in. :rolleyes:

12. Emma

Emma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kross @ Apr 20 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]242568[/snapback]</div>
    She should have never even noticed. You should have been opening her door for her. ;) :lol:

In the alternative, you can just hit the "unlock" button on the fob twice in a row and all doors unlock.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Emma @ Apr 20 2006, 07:59 AM) [snapback]242573[/snapback]</div>

LOL!

There are buttons...on the fob...never noticed. :blink: ;)

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 20 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]242574[/snapback]</div>
    There are buttons...on the fob...never noticed. :blink: ;)
    [/b][/quote]
    Yeah. I was going to say. That's soooo late 20th century. C'mon, get with the times! :p

15. Kross

Kross New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Emma @ Apr 20 2006, 08:59 AM) [snapback]242573[/snapback]</div>
    Hahaha, surprisingly enough I end up doing that a lot since I know that I have the SK in my pocket and can just walk up to her side, open it for her and then walk over to the Drivers side.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Emma @ Apr 20 2006, 08:59 AM) [snapback]242573[/snapback]</div>
    But that would actually require the extra effort of fishing the keys out of my pocket! hahaha.
    In all seriousness though, the SK system has spoiled me immensely. Whenever I have to drive my fiance's car, it takes me a moment to realize that I actually have to take the key and put it in the ignition to go anywhere.

16. Emma

Emma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kross @ Apr 20 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]242589[/snapback]</div>
    I know what you mean. I want an SKS system on my house and my office! Now THAT would be cool.