1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jackovalltrades, Feb 15, 2007.

1. jackovalltrades

jackovalltrades New Member

So I just got my new 2007 Prius package #5 which has this fancy smart key system. I've read the manual and was wondering the following questions. What happens if you get in and turn on the vehicle with the smart key and then get out and walk away with the smart key? Does the vehicle shut down after a certain amount of time? What's to prevent me from driving to the mall and dropping off my wife who inadvertently takes the keys with her? Am I SOL when I get home (now without the smart key), turn off the vehicle and can't turn it back on to go back and pick her up?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jackovalltrades @ Feb 15 2007, 07:55 AM) [snapback]390783[/snapback]</div>
    Once started it will continue to run even if the key is removed from the vehicle. You will get a few beeps as you exit the vehicle with the key, but that's pretty much all the warning you get.

So yes, you'd be SOL and in the DOG house if you drop your wife off w/ the only set of keys!

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just don't shut the car off before you go pick her up . But if she stays there as long as my wife even with the Prius you still might have to get gas LOL!

4. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jackovalltrades @ Feb 15 2007, 09:55 AM) [snapback]390783[/snapback]</div>
    1. Two sets of keys. 2. Pockets :)

5. jackovalltrades

jackovalltrades New Member

Absolutely... this requires a totally different mindset from what you're used to with other vehicles. I need to go through a 101 with the wife on this vehicle from start to finish.

Thanks for the feedback.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's an answer you didn't ask for, but you'll notice it sometime: you can't lock the car if a fob is inside.

Say you work out with your wife that you'll both carry fobs so either can just get in and drive. So you go to the mall with her and she says she doesn't want to carry her purse, so she stashes it in the back under the cover. Try to lock the car and it won't do it!

You get to carry both fobs... ;)

One more point: The fobs are valuable precision electronic instruments. If you lose one, it will be expensive to replace and require the dealer to program the replacement to your car. If you should lose both fobs, it will be very expensive. And you won't be able to drive your car.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    leave your extra fob somewhere handy, and just use one fob to drive the car... that's my advice.

My second fob is hidden inside the car with no battery in it (works if you put it in the slot, but not otherwise). And no, I'm not telling where I hid it. ;)