1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by required_username, Mar 31, 2008.

1. required_username

required_username Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2008 Prius
    In the Owner's Manual is a reference to a 'Smart Key System (p, 36-38). I have no idea what this is. I understand I can open the car doors with the fob in my pocket but the manual talks about how to grip the handle to unlock the door. But if the doors unlock when I get within a few feet of the car, why do I need to know how to grip the handle? And the button on the trunk . . why do I need to know I can push the button if the door unlocks when I get within a few feet of the car? What am I missing?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you have the SKS on your package? I'm guessing no, otherwise the answers to your questions would be pretty obvious. With the SKS, the doors do not automatically unlock when you get a few feet from them. They unlock when you grip the door handle, or press on the hatch handle, as long as you have a working SKS fob with you.

You push the buttons on the door handles to lock the car.

Tom

3. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With SmartKey, the doors DO NOT unlock automatically when you are in proximity of the car. You must touch the inside of the front door handles, or the hatch opening handle. The buttons are for locking the the car after you exit.