1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

smart key vs. remote entry

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by psikot, Oct 25, 2007.

1. psikot

psikot New Member

i was wondering about the battery life of the car and fob for the SKS. the manual says that they will both eventually run down, what are people's experience with replacing fob batteries? how fast does the SKS run the fob battery down?

2. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Both fobs for my 2005 are on the original batteries; the car is 2yrs 7months old with 40k miles.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, they last a long time.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Funny timing . . . I just replaced mine today after three years of hassle free operation.

The car started to show signs that my SKS fob battery was getting weak.
    A couple of times it took several extra pulls on the driver handle before the fob registered correctly, and every once in a while the 'key missing' light on the dash flashed - even though I was in the car with the key in my pocket.

The battery is easy to change . . . provided you have a verrrrry small Phillips screwdriver. I picked up a two-pack of Engergizer CR2032 batteries at Lowe's for about four dollars. The receipt even says, "Keyless Entry B."

1) Remove mechanical key from fob by sliding locking mechanism while pulling out mechanical key.
    2) Rest fob in hand like you would if operating the remote buttons with your thumb, except have the emblem face you and upside down. Place your thumb on the upside down Toyota emblem with locking mechanism end pointing away from you. Slide locking mechanism while pushing the emblem toward the locking mechanism. The cover should slide open, exposing four small Phillip's screws.
    3) Remove screws and the associated cover to expose the battery.
    4) Remove and replace battery. (Just in case, the "+" side faces up)
    5) Put everything back together and test the fob remote buttons on the car.

My car no longer complains about not finding the fob. :)

2 people like this.
  5. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 26 2007, 02:37 AM) [snapback]530609[/snapback]</div>
    Does my wife have a battery like that somewhere that needs replacing?

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Oct 26 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]530753[/snapback]</div>
    It depends . . . is she one of the older model Stepford Wives which are being abandoned and replaced by newer models?

Maybe it is you who is draining her battery. :eek:

If she is cute, I have the proper tools and knowhow to charge those batteries. The unfortunate side affect is husbands and boyfriends usually get hot and explode . . . like a lithium-ion battery. ;) :rolleyes:

7. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psikot @ Oct 25 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]530432[/snapback]</div>
    The fob talks to SKS unit (in the car - thru sensors) wirelessly when the fob gets within ~3 ft.
    Normally, the fob is in receiving mode (extreme low power consumed),
    while the SKS unit is in broadcasting mode (small range - low power).
    When the fob gets very close to ANY SKS unit (say even a Lexus LS), the fob wakes up and
    negotiate with the SKS to check codes and ID.
    If confirmed, the SKS unit goes into a mode and authorizes you to open the doors and start the engine.
    If not, the fob goes back to sleep again.
    This is a layman version of how it works. If you need technical details, drop me a PM, I can find you
    a EETime article on how it works if you have engineering background.

SKS smart key is based on sophisticated encryption and code jumping. It is much harder to hack into
    than usually keyless entry. Note that when fob is in range, it consumes more power negotiating with
    the SKS unit. Therefore, if fob is not in use, don't leave the fob in the car. If you have to, put it into a
    tin foil bag so that the fob stays in sleep mode.

8. kenkat

kenkat New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I couldn't figure out how to get to the battery & you had all the info right there.

9. melkisadek

melkisadek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    smart key battery replacement

Thanks, you probably just saved me a good piece of change. When I noticed a warning light on the front screen and realized my power button wasn't very responsive, I called my Toyota service guys. Several of them didn't seem to know there WAS an amber SKS light on the vehicle. Using what you described below I was able to replace the battery. I wasn't able to get the cover to slide forward easily so I used a thin blade to lift the cover with the emblem (it's fairly flexible) and then (holding the release slide), I pushed it forward by inserting a small screw driver in the space I'd created and used it to gently push the cover toward the bottom of the fob. The main point is, of course, be gentle . . . it's only plastic.

Melkisadek