1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by catsbox, Dec 8, 2005.

?
  1. Yes, always

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, sometimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, never. I keep it in my pocket or bag (or briefcase, whatever!)

100.0%
  4. Is that what that slot is for?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    :huh: I was getting into my Pri this morning and noticed the lights on each side of the slot where the smart key goes. Then I got to wondering, does anyone actually insert the smart key into the dash to start the car? Personally, I never do. I have noticed that some of the techs at the dealership do, and other's just leave it in the cup holder. (If I did this poll wrong, sorry. It's my first try!)

2. Rabid1

Rabid1 New Member

I gotta say, I LOVE MY SMART KEY!!!

3. B.D.T

B.D.T New Member

I always use the smart key (never put it in the dash). It is by far one of the best inventions to come out in a long time.

Britt

:)

4. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First thing I did after I handed the "keys" to my wife was disable the Smart Key. The dealer told us we couldn't lock the keys in the car, but I couldn't find any documentation to support that...granted I didn't look to hard. I just figured for her sake, easier to just continue old habits, it was hard enough trying to teach her to drive the thing.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Smart Key is always on =). I'll put it in the slot only if I have it in hand already and don't feel like putting it back in my pocket. Also, it's good for ACC mode since removing the fob turns the car off, instead of pushing the POWER button twice.

6. TidelandTravis

TidelandTravis New Member

The smart key is waaay better than the "keyless go" system I had in my mercedes... The only time I insert the key is in carwashes so they don't lose it.

7. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have 2005 package 6, you cannot lock the key in the car. If you hit the lock button on the doors or hatch it does nothing. Remember the car is smarter than we are.....
    I wish I could have Smart Key on my house, my office.....

8. Ghoti

Ghoti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I almost invariably just keep the key on one of my pockets and utilise the Smart Entry and Smart Start systems.

However, I recently moved, and one of the items I had packed in the par was my second key, which prevented me from locking the car when I stopped to eat or rest, so for the duration of the trip, I had the Smart Entry/Smart Start system disabled.

As soon as I unpacked the car, however, I was back to 'normal', and once again grumbling about how my house and my office don't have Smart Entry systems.

9. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Whoa! I pulled the trigger too fast. The title and description ask contradictory questions: Do you use it (SKS)? and Do you insert?

I read the title, clicked on Yes, always, and voted. I didn't read the contradictory description until after voting.

Obviously, I meant yes to the first question, and no to the second.

This is a badly designed poll. :blink:

10. harrv

harrv Member

I only insert the key in the dash when I'm going to let the valet park it.

11. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

We were not going to get the SKS if we purchased an '05 because it did not add enough value for us. We are only getting it on our upcoming '06 because it comes packaged with the 'required' (according to DH) auxiliary miniplug. He's into to podcasts these days.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the cooler this feature becomes! :D After I lock the house, I can pretty much put my keys in my pocket or purse and not worry about them anymore, right? I do have a couple questions...

Does the car automatically unlock ALL doors and hatch when the fob gets within range or just the driver's door? When does the car lock those doors and hatch again?

12. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The default is to unlock only the driver's door when the driver's door handle is pulled (with SK near by), and unlock all doors when the hatch or front passenger's door handles are pulled (with SK near by). You can change the behavior by setting the configuration.

I always lock the car by pushing the button on the driver's door handle so I don't know how long it takes to lock by itself. You can also lock by pushing a button on the FOB, but that would involve fishing the FOB out from a pocket or purse.

13. sunnysandiegan

Thanks Tessar!

I wasn't very clear in my second question. I do recall the black button on the driver's door for locking purposes once we are out of the vehicle.

I was wondering about entry to the vehicle. After I put my daughter into her car seat and get into the vehicle and push power, will the doors lock automatically? (Assuming I have the FOB within range the entire time, of course.) I have an after-market keyless entry system in my '95 Corolla and one push opens the driver's door and two pushes opens all doors (trunk is not involved at all). Once I turn the engine, all doors lock automatically. I believe my DH's Camry automatically locks all the doors after the car is started and it is in gear.

14. AzizaVFR

AzizaVFR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just picked up my Prius from the dealer. While having both keys with me, one on my person and one in the center console, I tried to lock the doors with the button on the outside. The car complained, with a longer chirp than normal and would not lock the doors until I took both keys with me.

Yes, the engineers made it very hard to lock your keys in the car. Now if it would let me know if I leave my phone behind as well.....

Enjoy,
    Randal

15. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Once you are inside, the doors don't lock themselves. I've rented cars where that happens when you start driving. Some people like that for safety from would-be car jackers. Other people like leaving the doors unlocked in case there is a collision so that it's easier for rescuers to get the people out.

On Prius, the doors do not lock automatically. The driver can lock all doors from the driver's seat with a power switch on the door. Passengers have individual locks. The rear doors have an override for child safety. The power windows in the rear can also be disabled by the driver. That's typical for a modern car.

Smart Key lets you enter the car and start it without taking the FOB out of your pocket or purse. It doesn't lock the car when you are inside. (Did I repeat myself enough :)

16. sunnysandiegan

Thanks again, Tessar!

I think I get the picture now... ;)

17. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but my wife has a knack for making technology work against her. :lol: Imagine a scenario where she leaves it in her jacket, goes to the store and someone hops in the car and drives off...far fetched I'm sure, but for now she'd rather use it as a key.

18. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you need to lock one key in the car, for instance if your wife leaves her purse in the car when you go into a resturant, then just use the lock button on the fob. It will lock the car, and the car won't respond to the unlock button unless it sees a key outside of the car. So no one can just walk up to your car and open it up.

And, the car is pretty stuborn about opening the car without a key being outside the car. For instance, even if a fob is inside the car and a theif trys to stick a rod through the door weather stripping to unlock the car, it won't open. It will just honk loudly for 30 seconds or so.

19. CedricMordrin

CedricMordrin New Member

I've found myself trying to open the front door to my house w/o keys since I received my Prius w/ SKS. I want to adapt the tech to all sorts of things, and use the watch available in Japan.

20. TidelandAZ

TidelandAZ New Member

I love being "keyless".

I have a keypad on my front door, a touchpad by the garage door, and now a car that doesn't require me to reach in my pocket for a key.

Technology is wonderful!

:D :D