1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lmargulis, Jun 22, 2006.

1. lmargulis

lmargulis New Member

I just bought my 2006 Option #7 Prius. I am still trying to figure out all the controls.

I have always liked to carry a spare key in my wallet. Do I have to carry the entire smart key?

I tried to just use the "emergency" key inside the smart key. It will open the door but not allow me to start the car. In addition the alarm goes off. Am I missing something? What is the purpose of the emergency key?

Thanks for your help.

Larry

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Larry M @ Jun 22 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]275408[/snapback]</div>
    The mechanical key is in case the battery in the fob dies. You use the mechanical key to get into the car then put the fob in the slot to start (battery not necessary for that use).

Yes, you'll need an entire fob for a back-up.

3. thejoker

thejoker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 22 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]275424[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the reply as I had posted the same question in another Forum six months ago.

Count this as one of the many pet-peeves I have with this car. I can't believe there's no way to carry along some form of a spare key in my wallet!

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thejoker @ Jul 6 2006, 02:06 AM) [snapback]281863[/snapback]</div>
    The reason to keep a spare key from a regular car in your wallet is to guard against losing your keys. Since you often pull them out of your pocket, it's easy to lose keys. It's also easy to lock your keys in your car.

However, the Smart key need never leave your pocket. It's less likely to get lost. If you are going hiking or something that you fear might cause your fob to spontaneously eject from your pocket, then safety pin it in. And the Prius won't let you lock the car with a SmartKey fob in it. The only way to lock a fob in the car (say the one in your wife's purse) is to use the lock button on the other fob, outside of the car, or the mechanical key.

So, where do you keep your spare wallet?

5. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thejoker @ Jul 5 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]281863[/snapback]</div>
    Larry:

Check out the ideas in this post:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=263340

You take your second smartkey fob, remove the battery, hide it in your car (perhaps the hidden compartment under the seat or in the back). You take the small mechanical key and put it in your wallet. Then, if you ever find yourself without your main smartkey, you unlock the car with the mechanical key, snag the fob, put it in the ignition, and take off.

Hopefully, this takes care of one of your pet peeves! ;)

6. thejoker

thejoker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Jul 6 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]282388[/snapback]</div>

You must have some serious ESP because my father's name is Larry! (My name is Robin.)

Actually I posted recently on the string you provided the link to. I did get some useful info from both strings but your suggestion is unique! I shall do as you say and that will indeed resolve one of my pet peeves. Now...how do I get rid of the split rear windshield?!

Thanks!

7. glenhead

glenhead New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thejoker @ Jul 6 2006, 10:35 PM) [snapback]282395[/snapback]</div>
    Chainsaw?

Sledgehammer?

Plasma torch?

Moose?

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul 6 2006, 04:35 AM) [snapback]281903[/snapback]</div>
    We accidentally tried a slight variation on this theme...When I picked up the car at the dealership, I handed my husband the extra fob along with the sales papers. He went home in his car, leaving the envelope of stuff I had given him in my car, on the passenger seat. With the second fob inside the car, I could NOT lock the car with fob #1...took me a helluva long time to figure out what was up with that! My car is an '06--I do not know if that makes any difference to anything...
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Jul 6 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]282388[/snapback]</div>
    The problem here is--the mechanical key is a fat thingy. Is it possible to get a flat one cut? Or, even better, can AAA make one of their plastic copies that's the size and shape of a credit card, with a key in the middle of it? Also, with the battery out of the fob, would the RFID chip be disabled so the car wouldn't know it was in there, and enable the locking function using the other fob?

9. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 9 2006, 04:52 AM) [snapback]283276[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm.... I do not know about getting a key made, but my guess is that taking the battery out makes the fob "invisible" to the car, enabling the car to be locked with the other fob. I actually have not tried it as I would have to find the other fob in my wife's purse. What's the chance of that. :blink:

10. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FWIW, while it takes some specific actions, it is possible to lock a Smart Key inside of a Prius:

1. Power to IG-ON.
    2. Lower driver's side window.
    3. Exit vehicle and close driver's door with Smart Key inside.
    4. Reach in, manually or electrically lock doors, press auto-raise driver's side window, and retract arm.

Voilá, you've managed to not only lock your Smart Key inside your Prius, you've done it with the power set to IG-ON.

11. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jul 9 2006, 07:02 AM) [snapback]283305[/snapback]</div>
    Fortunately, that seems WAY too detailed for me to be able to do by accident! :rolleyes: I would venture to guess that I'd probably miss a step or two trying to do it on purpose! :huh: OTOH, let us just hope my kid does NOT see this and hold my car ransom! Or, rudiger, I WILL find you and deal with you appropriately! I am the mother of a teenage son. Do NOT take this threat lightly!!! ;)

12. edunlap

edunlap Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Larry M @ Jun 22 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]275408[/snapback]</div>
    :( I also have just bought a 2006 Prius. Blue with Option 3.

The Owner's Manual says "Do not keep the key together with the products emitting electromagnetic waves such as a cellular phone." I would like to keep both the key and the cell phone in the same purse. If they are not touching each other, or if the cell phone is turned off, can I keep them both in my purse?

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edunlap @ Jul 11 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]284611[/snapback]</div>
    Just keep both of them in your purse and don't worry about it. There is the possibility that the cell phone could interfere with the key, but I think it's a pretty remote possibility and, if it does, you can start thinking about where else you should put they key (maybe in an outside pocket in your purse). The only other possible side effect is that you might have to replace the battery in the key (just a simple watch battery) slightly more often.

So, in short, don't worry about it.

EDIT: As a side note, my girlfriend keeps her key to the Prius in her purse with her cell phone all the time and has (literally) never had a problem.