1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by waddahsunnaa, Mar 26, 2010.

1. waddahsunnaa

waddahsunnaa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius have all options including smart system. I have two problems, first, the hatch door lock button does not lock the doors and the handle of the hatch door does not unlock the hatch door also. The technicians examine the wire all the way from back to front and problem was found, they connected to computer and no problem also was found, they examine the handle and the button and they were ok also. Summary, the smart key works fine on the two front doors but at the hatch door it does not work at all either opening or closing. Second problem, I have no spare key, so I asked the technicians to buy me a spare key and they tried to program it but it does not save the programming, they tried a new key and a used one but both gave the same result.
    Can any one help me and tell me what to do.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius is programmed to accept the new key fob, not the other way around. Only a new fob can be programmed into the car for Smart Key functions; used fobs can be programmed as dumb fobs, but not smart ones. Programming a new SKS fob requires a special Toyota tool.

If your technicians cannot program your Prius to use the new fob, one of three things are wrong:

1) You have the wrong fob, or a used fob.

2) Your Smart Key ECU is defective.

3) Your technicians don't know what they are doing.

I'm going to guess #3 is most likely.

As for the rear hatch not locking and unlocking with the SKS, most likely the rear transponder coil has failed. The SKS has several little boxes that communicate with the key fobs. There is one in each front door, one in the center console, and one in the hatch. The SKS ECU uses these boxes to tell the location of the key fob. If the rear one is out, it will not be able to tell that you have the fob when you are back at the hatch.

Tom

3. waddahsunnaa

waddahsunnaa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for answering, but what do you mean by: Smart Key ECU is defective and where is located. Senond, where does the rear transponder coil located. is it beside the button and the handle from inside the door or in some place else. Thank you again.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Smart Key ECU is the electronic box that controls the SKS. It must be working at list partially, since the other doors work, but at this point we can't say that it is completely okay.

The coil unit for the hatch is located under the floor of the hatch area. It's a little rectangular box standing on end.

Tom

5. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Attached Files: