1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

smart start dead

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ml194152, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ml194152

ml194152 Member

I went out this morning to run some errands and when I hit the start button, no dash lights came up and nothing happened except a slight whirring sound from the engine compartment that stopped after 3-4 seconds. Several attempts produced the same result. The car had been working fine since I got it in April 2004, even as I shut it off last night.

I tried putting the fob into the slot, and it started normally. I pulled the car out of the garage and into the driveway. I shut it off and got out and tried to lock the doors by pushing the black button and nothing happened - no beep no locking of doors, no nothing. Pushing the lock button on the fob produced a beep but no locking either.

Any suggestions before I take it in to the dealer?

2. Dewg

Dewg New Member

Yes, your battery in the FOB is likely dead. Try replacing it or using your spare FOB to test. Instructions for replacing your FOB's batter can be found in your manual.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

The battery in the FOB is dead? The car was delivered in April 2004.

Although I sincerely hope nothing serious is wrong with ml194152's Prius, I also hope the batteries in the FOB will typically last longer than 9 months.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check that the button under the steering column didn't accidently get pushed...that's how it's disabled.

The battery is expected to last 1 year in 'normal' use, but if there were times with prolonged exposure to oscillators or anything to demand increased drain on the battery that could shorten the life.

The easiest thing would be to check with the other fob..ok, that's the second easiest after checking the button under the steering wheel.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My daughter got a CHEAP watch free with her last pair of sneakers. The LCDs weren't lit well enough to set the watch so I tested the 1.5V battery. It registered 1V. I got a new battery and the LCDs are readable, but it is still a CHEAP and basically useless watch. Point being, the battery COULD have been in less than optimal condition, even when new.

6. ml194152

ml194152 Member

Problem solved. Efusco was right. While I was out on my errands this morning, I remembered about the button to disable the SKS. Sure enough, it had been pushed in (i.e., the off position). I pushed on it to return it to the "out" position and now everything works fine. :oops:

What happened was, last night when I got home, my 3 year old daughter jumped into my lap while I was still in the drivers seat. She must have kicked the button with her foot by accident.

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

"Evan Fusco, P.M.D." -- catchy title. If yuo feel like switching to forsenics, and someone can come up with good theme music, we could make it a new CBS TV series.

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's why he is a good ER doctor. Quick with the proper diagnosis!!