1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Start night time interior light trick

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by captnslur, Nov 2, 2004.

1. captnslur

captnslur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have discovered a nifty thing the Prius does with the interior lights at night.

With the Smart Start/Entry system (I don't know if the non SS/SE cars do this) at night with the car locked if one walks up to the car with the SS/SE key fob, even with out touching it or handling the door handle, the interior lights will come on. Cool! If one walks away from the car a few feet, they will go out after about ten seconds or so. Walk back up to the car and the lights go back on, allowing one to see the contents of the car with out even doing anything.

We've had the car for over 11,000 miles and we are still discovering nice new things about it. Now I know what that light sensor on the left front dash is for. :lol:

2. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.. you only just noticed that? I noticed that when i had the test car overnight before I bought one..

Weird how some things we don't discover until later on... makes me wonder what I havent noticed yet! although I did read the manual from cover to cover (naturally) so maybe there isn't anything :(

oh, and... what light sensor on the left front dash? only thing I have there is the gps thingys.. the interior light coming on would have nothing to do with any light sensor anhoo.. it is just activated by the fob

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Except that it doesn't happen when it is light out. :)

4. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    are you sure?

5. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I guess I can look at the interior lights this afternoon before I open the door. Can't do it in the mornings as it is DARK.

6. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ya, I'll check mine in the morning too.. I just assumed it would come one every time because I thought installing a light sensor just so the interior light doesnt come on during the daytime when you approach the car would be a bit much, unless you can think of some other use for the light sensor?

7. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know about the Prius, but cars with automatic climate control generally have light sensors (if the sun is shining directly on you, it needs to work harder so you feel the same temperature)

8. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    a light sensor for that? surely that would be prone to false readings.. and what about in winter when it is sunny but really cold? would it turn the heater off and start the air con to cool you down because the sun hit the light sensor??

I think the prius uses temp sensors for that. One at foot level and one higher up, because I have noticed that after a while of cooling, it will change the air con to come from the top vents only, as the lower ones are no longer needed because the cooler temp has been reached at floor level first.

9. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    captnslur !

Now you know why I'm a big advocate of never reading the owner's manual and not paying attention during the walk-around with the salesperson. You get all these little surprises for the next few weeks!

I think I had mine for a month before I realized that the little black button on the door handle would lock the car! I kept using the inside switch or the fob :oops:

A lot of folks are discovering the hidden drawer in the console MONTHS after taking ownership! I bet some people will NEVER even know that it's there. Or that ALL the seats fold flat, creating an undriveable but HUGE storage box. :mrgreen:

10. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had a couple of people lock the car trying to open it, thinking the black button was supposed to be pushed with your thumb as a catch release. :)

It can store sleeping people who can then reset the seats and drive it later! :)
    I used that feature this weekend ( but not the driver's seat ;-) ) taking stuff to cover the boat. My friend had borrowed her partner's Matrix and tried to do the same. Found out it doesn't work. Another Prius Plus!

11. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe both are used. The light sensor lets the climate control compensate for the sunlight. (After all, the temp sensors aren't in the sun and wouldn't be reading what you actually feel.)

Or maybe I'm nuts. Try blocking it with an envelope or something, see what happens ;-)

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I thought this was really darn cool when I discovered it. Having taken delivery in August, it was always light out when I drove. Just within the last few weeks, my wife and I were walking out to the car from an evening with some friends and as we approached, the lights came on.

I turned to her and said, "not only does it know me, it anticipates me." :-D

13. captnslur

captnslur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, The interior lights do come on in the day time as well.

Still cool.... but just then is the light sensor on the left side dash for? It is described in the manual as a light sensor, but its function is not defined.

????? :?

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Isn't that the sensor to trigger the Daytime Running Lights and the automatic headlights for those with that feature. Canada and Europe, I think.

15. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If that is all it is for, then it seems wasteful to stick it in U.S. cars. There must be SOME reason to have it there!

16. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hmmm.. My manual calls it a light sensor too.. so it is a mystery.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the sensor is for the automatic headlights. I came out of a multi-storey carpark today with my headlights on (not in AUTO). The moment sunlight was cast on the sensor, the instrument panel and MD screen lit up to day mode as if the headlights were off. So one doesn't really need to adjust the rheostat past that 'click' when using the headlights during the day.

Also it's to tell the computer when to turn on the lights if you set it in AUTO

As for the interior lights, yeah they do come on during the day if you set both the front and rear 'dome' lamps to "DOOR"

18. captnslur

captnslur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, Tideland is correct about the automatic headlight option and the light sensor. I checked with Randy at Heintz Toyota in Mankato, Mankato., and the computer says that this sensor controls the automatic headlights and allows the DRL to operate with out the tail lights during the day light hours.

Thanks every one for your input with this very important issue. 8)

19. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what's it for on cars without the automatic headlights then?

20. Silverback

Silverback New Member

Daytime running lights come on as soon as you have the motor running and release the parking brake in any Canadian Toyota. The panel lights don't come on at all in this situation, but anything that is lit up, like the clock is really bright. Turn on the lights manually and the clock etc dims. Bottom line...I still haven't got a clue what that light sensor would be for.