1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smartest car buyers in the world: those who bought hybrids last year

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by prius_fr, Aug 25, 2006.

1. prius_fr

prius_fr New Member

Very small article from about.com Jeffrey Krasner stating the Prius is holding pretty well it's value on the second hand used market.

Click here to read the small article.

(sorry if it is a repost, article not new - June 2006 - did some search didn't found anything)

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you. Bought mine in April, 2005.

Of course, in re the article I would have to *sell* my Prius. And I'm not about to do that. Not yet. But I am hopeful that when I *do* go to sell my car (to buy a 2009 Prius) the resale value will still be high and a well maintained Prius will low mileage will still command top dollar.

When the time comes I won't mind having to order exactly what I want and wait for it. (Dark blue exterior, gray interior, top package minus leather. I wonder if there will be a way to order it with a leather steering wheel?) I'll just drive my car til the new one arrives. Then I can decide whether I'll trade it in or sell it privately. I don't imagine it would be that hard.

3. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 25 2006, 04:01 AM) [snapback]309226[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, exactly, unless you have a brand new Prius that just arrived on your driveway, you don't want to sell the old one. Still, I think that those who bought their Prius in the first quarter or so of 2006 were luckier/smarter because they got that big tax credit which makes my $2000 deduction seem rather paltry in comparison. It's nice to know that my car is worth a lot. It may depend, though, on location. There was an article in one of the local papers earlier this week about how a large SUV is worth a lot less here than it is in other parts of the country. That the SUV brokers buy them here and sell them on, say, the west coast for a lot more. So, perhaps the economy is such a big issue here that even a Prius wouldn't fetch top dollar.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the resale value of the Prius is legendary and as long as it is at the forefront of automotivve technologym, it will continue to "write its own ticket"

my Prius was 25 months old, had 28,000 miles on it, was purchased for 20,660. initial offering from opposing insurance company is 21,500. as im sure you know, they will not offer a penny more than they need to.

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Aug 25 2006, 06:19 AM) [snapback]309229[/snapback]</div>
    That was me! :D I ordered my Prius last August but opted to wait until 2006 to take delivery of it mainly because of the potential tax credit (assuming we don't get hit with AMT this year)...and it helped me save up more $$ for my downpayment during the wait as well, so it wasn't all about the credit. I think anyone who has bought or is buying a Prius or other similar hybrid (ie: not the Lexus or Highlander hybrid or any of the mild hybrids) are lucky and/or smart, regardless of tax credits. :)

6. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    nice article...
    :p what about those who bought years ago? :p

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Last year? I'm about to begin year 7 of ownership. B)

What adjective would you use to describe my purchase decision?

8. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Aug 27 2006, 04:54 AM) [snapback]310060[/snapback]</div>
    James Lipton's voice, "You are quite simply,... a god."

9. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :) :) Well, I got the best of both worlds. I bought a new Prius for my wife June 2005 and a new 2006 prius for myself 3 weeks ago. :rolleyes:
    -Paul R. Haller-