1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SmartKey Buttons Not Working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jeffhobbs, Dec 4, 2011.

1. jeffhobbs

jeffhobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I've got a 2007 Prius and the buttons on one of the smart keys no longer works. With the key in hand, I can touch the door handle and the door will unlock. I can also turn the car on without placing the SKS in the slot. However the lock/unlock/emergency buttons don't work. Everything works fine on my other SKS so I don't believe it's something with the car. I've also checked the KEY button below the steering wheel - it's out.
    I've just changed the batteries on the broken SKS. Even going as far as pulling the battery out of the completely functional SKS and putting it into the broken SKS. Still, the three buttons don't work.

Any thoughts on how to remedy?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So it's probably the circuit board on the faulty remote, then? Have you check the soldering to see if something is amiss?

3. jeffhobbs

jeffhobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No I haven't. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something else before trying to tear apart the remote. Is taking apart the fob to see the circuitry documented on the forum somewhere? I've changed the battery a number of times, so I can get to that level without a problem. Is there some way (besides breaking it) to see the circuitry?

Thanks!

Jeff

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been a while since I've opened a Gen 2 fob. On the Gen 3 the battery is behind the circuit board so it's exposed and one can examine it without any tools.