1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smartkey from 05 does not work with 06

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by drmanny3, Apr 4, 2006.

1. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

I purchased a smartkey 05 from a former member of Priuschat and took it in to the dealer for programing. After a lot of effort I was informed that it could not be programmed to open the doors or start our 06 car (unless it was inserted into the key slot. So the only way it makes sense is to take the cut key from one of my working smartkeys and put it with the new smartkey. This will allow my wife to open a locked door by using the cut key. She can then insert the smartkey into the ignition and proceed to start and drive the car. This seems to verify that there was a change in 06 for the smartkeys.

Manny

2. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drmanny3 @ Apr 4 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]234873[/snapback]</div>
    As I noted on the Prius-2G list:

My 2006 will not take the extra fobs I had programmed to my 04. Somewhere in the timeline, and I haven't found out *when*, the replacement part # for the SK/SS fobs changed. Older fobs (pn ending in 47060) won't program to the 06 (which uses fobs ending in 47061). Now it is entirely possible that this change was made in 05 sometime, but I can't verify this. Maybe your dealer can.

If this is the case, you might have to just order a brand new fob ($151 from Conicelli Toyota) and Ebay your old Ebay fob. That's what I had to do, I now have 2 extra fobs for the 04 that I'm either going to keep for emergency backup, or Ebay off, as I bought 2 new 47061 fobs so that I can program them to work with the 04 and 06.

The old 47060 fobs I have were able to be programmed to the key slot, but the SK/SS and buttons on the fobs to lock/unlock would not program, leaving them pretty much useless for my 06. Each of those functions have a separate programming method, it isn't all programmed in one set of steps.

3. CrazyRussian

CrazyRussian Junior Member

This, actually, can be a good thing for a "spare key". I always kept a spare key for emergencies on my previous cars hidden somewhere underneath a car in a box with a maganet. With 05 fob that could also be possible: hide the fob with cut key under the car, use mechanical key to open the door, insert fob into the slot to start the engine - a perfect solution to an emergency. Or, one can keep the mechanical key hidden under the car, and 05 fob inside the car. Ok, now I'm going to look for uncut 05 fob on ebay. Does anybody have 05 fob with uncut key for sale?

--==CR==--

4. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The parts department at the dealer has blanks of the keys that fit in the SKS. I got a couple extra cut keys the day I bought my car. My father has one, and I have a spare that I need to hide on the car but haven't yet. This way if I want to leave my parents the car I just turn off smart key and lock one in the car.