1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SmartKey Interference with Aftermarket GPS?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sambagrrl07, Jul 15, 2007.

1. sambagrrl07

sambagrrl07 New Member

I just took delivery on my new 2007 Touring Prius, which came with the SmartKey System. While driving home from the dealer, I tried to use my Garmin nuvi 350 to navigate, but it recalculated the route every few seconds and could not seem to figure out where I was. The nuvi had been used with no problems in an ancient Toyota Camry, so I doubt the problem lies with the GPS.

I had the nuvi mounted on the front windshield in the center.

Has anyone else had this problem? Would moving the GPS help? Or does the SmartKey transponder interfere so much that I will have to get an external antenna?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sambagrrl07 @ Jul 15 2007, 01:21 PM) [snapback]479138[/snapback]</div>
    I will be surprised if the SKS has anything to do with your problems. Just to be sure, you can turn off the SKS by pressing the button under the steering wheel.

It's more likely that you are getting interference from the electrical system. You may need a choke in the power lead.

Tom

3. biphnest

biphnest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Nuvi 350 works fine in my 2006 with smartkey.

Attached Files:

• nuvi.jpg
      nuvi.jpg
      File size:
      83.7 KB
      Views:
  4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    its been my expierence that SiRFstarIII are more suspectible to inference then previous antenna/chipsets. try relocating the unit away from the suspected source of the interference, or get like what you suggested a external antenna or some kind of cable. i have a SiRFstarIII for my laptop, the ms streets and trips 2007 module, and if i connect it directly to my laptops usb port i cant get anything out of it. if i use the included cable, then everything is fine.

also worth mentioning is that during initial power up, SiRFstarIII may require a 5 minute window to acquire the signal. you must remain motionless during it.

5. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My nuvi 350 is mounted on top of the MFD. I've had no problems with the unit in the month I've owned it. BTW, do you have the antenna positioned parallel to the road surface?

Try phoning Garmin's support line and reporting your symptoms. I found their advice very helpful when the StreetPilot i5 I used to own began to take a very long time to acquire satellites. I was told how to reboot the system. That solved my problem. Hopefully, something as simple as that can solve yours.

6. unknownone

unknownone Junior Member

I have the Nuvi 350 mounted to the Top left side of the MDF. There is a nice flat area just before the MDF to mount it.. I haven't' had any problems with it and the sks. The only time, I had it do the recalculating was when I missed a turn. Could it be because the SKS receiver is in that hump thing you attached the Nuvi to? Also isn't it dangerous to have the nuvi mounted there? You have to take your eyes off the road to look at the Nuvi.

Only bad thing about the Nuvi 350, the suction cup mount detaches when the sun heats up the car inside.