1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smartkey question...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rbrownaz, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Rbrownaz

Rbrownaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just purchased a beautiful 2007 Prius with Smarkey. The actual"key" portion isn't cut on either of my 2 Smartkey fobs. Can anyone tell me if the expense to have these cut (since they would not have an original to copy) is really necessary from your experience?

Thank you in advance.

2. DoPeY5007

DoPeY5007 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So you have a blank? You will not be able to unlock the door manually.

3. Rbrownaz

Rbrownaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DoPeY5007, yes both of my fobs have blank keys so I can unlock doors remotely just not manually. Just was wondering if anyone thought this would really be an issue down the road (no punn intended).

4. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well if the fob becomes inop then your screwed without a way to get in your car. I believe the dealer can cut a key with just your vin number and proof of ownership.

5. DoPeY5007

DoPeY5007 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I would say get at least one, as it can be an issue. Better safe than sorry.

6. Rbrownaz

Rbrownaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you are both right, I will get these keys made. Thanks friends.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Consult both a locksmith and Toyota before you take any action. Go with the cheapest source and get two keys cut.

8. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your dealer overcharges for this service, have them cut only one of the keys. Make sure it works, and then take the keys to Walmart for the cutting of the second.

9. Rbrownaz

Rbrownaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent thought. Thanks Julia!

10. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here is some info about keys I learned yesterday for anyone who cares. I always thought the head of the keys that slide into the fob are small and it might be hard to turn them in the winter when its cold. So, I thought why not have a normal sized key made to fit the door (from a Toyota key blank). I went to Wal Mart to ask them if they could do it and they had it done in no time. They used an Axcess 35R key blank and cut it by using the key from my fob. Now I have the two keys in my fob and a regular sized key if I ever need it. The cost was $1.89 with tax. I don't know if anyone cares but, I just thought I'd share that.

I have also noticed that some Wal Mart clerks are afraid to try to cut a key for you out of the small key. B4 my second key fob key was cut, I took it to one Wal Mart to have it cut and the clerk there stated it was too small and their system couldn't do it. I took it to the other Wal Mart (with the exact same key cutting equipment) and the clerk cut it for free in less than a minute so, you may need to shop around. I also tried Lowe's and they were definitely afraid to cut it. They wouldn't even try even though I told them I wouldn't hold them responsible if they messed it up.

11. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any locksmith should be able to do this.