1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smartkey Replacement, Happy Ending

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gordonsta, Nov 13, 2010.

1. gordonsta

gordonsta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We lost one of our smartkeys and went to the dealer to get a replacement. The $340 price tag put me off. I went on eBay and found a used one with a blank key included for $60 +$7 for shipping from Midwest Keyless. They suggested contacting the dealer to see if they could do the reprogramming. The local dealer said they could.

After receiving the key and taking it to the dealer it turned out they could not reprogram it.:( I called a number of local locksmiths and they could not reprogram it.

I called Midwest Keyless back and asked if they knew of any locksmiths in Central Florida that could do the job. They were very helpful and put me in touch with one in Orlando. He did the job and cut the key for $50. I'm a happy camper.:D

My point in relating this is to highly recommend Midwest Keyless on eBay. If you need a replacement key I would suggest contacting them in advance to ensure you are close to a locksmith that can do the job.

2. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is the first time I have heard of someone other then a dealer reprgogramming a Silver FOB for a smart key.