1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SmartKey System...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by WilDavis, Dec 20, 2015.

1. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …well, I guess it just had to happen sooner or later! I was out running errands yesterday, and when I returned to my car, found that I was unable to unlock the doors, so I tried the buttons on the SmartKey FOB all to no avail, so ended up using the mechanical key to unlock the door, and placed the FOB in the slot in the dash. I checked the FOB battery when I got home, and found it to be slightly less than the 3.00V, plus the fact that it was quite cold yesterday, so that might have been a contributing factor. I've not needed to replace the FOB batteries in the 2 years I've owned the car, so I suppose it was about time. FWIW - Wil

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should probably change mine. As I'm approaching (have past) 2 years and counting.
    But as long as it's working it's an easy thing to ignore.

I remember someone urging replacing both fob batteries at the same time, even if you use one as a back-up "emergency" fob. As the second one will still be sending out a signal and the battery also weaken.

I'm pretty good with maintenance, but I admit I tend to ignore the fob battery, and I also forget to check the PSI of my spare tire.
    So I guess I'm just asking to be stranded someday.

3. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For other owners; If you purchased your car "used" test and make sure the mechanical key opens your door lock. I've seen people buy a used car then when their fob or fob battery dies they cannot get in because wrong mechanical key came with the car. And if you only have one fob make another ASAP so you have a backup. When you "lose all fobs" it can be very expensive if you have to tow the car to the dealer.

WilDavis likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny, i just replaced mine. got the 'key not detected' when i shut the car off, after 44 months from delivery. old ones were 2.8v, new were 3.2 energizers. ironically, we were just talking about this in another thread. my gen II's lasted longer.