1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SmartKey

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by airpolgas, Aug 3, 2006.

1. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

I made a necklace out of my smartkey (using the cable from a USB thumbdrive), and that's how I've operated my Prius since I got it. I enrolled my kids for swimming lessons, and since I don't want to get bored watching for an hour (I already know how to swim), I enrolled myself as well. I looped the Smartkey onto the bag handle and placed the bag in the "trunk." Imagine my surprise when I couldn't start the car! :eek:

The key is visible, so it's actually flushed to the side of the transparent bag. It's not buried between layers of towels, and obviously, it's inside the vehicle. I went out and took the bag and placed it down by the passenger's floor area, and off we went.

Care to see if you can duplicate this? Am I losing batteries? (I got the car delivered December 5th of last year).

2. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airpolgas @ Aug 3 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]297220[/snapback]</div>
    No. Thanks. Some experimenters have proven both that a smart key CAN and CANNOT be washed. I'll be happy to let someone else work on this one! B)

OTOH...other evidence says...the key has to be pretty close to the ignition...

3. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 3 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]297231[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I'm sorry I was not clear with the post. Because I knew I was going to get IN the water, I purposely attached my key to the bag, which will never be IN the water. Then I placed the bag in the trunk before leaving for the pool. Then I got in the car, and tried to start the car, but then it did not recognize that the key was already in the car.

I'm sorry if I suggested you dip your key in the water and then try to start your car with it. I just meant to ask if the signal of the smartkey - of your smart key - is recognized by the car when it's placed in the trunk.

Sorry if the original post was not clear.

4. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airpolgas @ Aug 3 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]297234[/snapback]</div>
    Been there, done that - smart key has to be with the driver to start the car (or closer to the driver's seat than the trunk.)

Pretty smart car, huh?

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The room oscillator is actually in the console behind the rear cup holders. You would think the fob would pick up the call of the room oscillator. Remember, the car can receive the fob's transmissions from as far as 30' away.

However, the car also can detect if the fob is in the hatch area via an oscillator located there. Although it's intent is to prevent locking the fob in the car when it is in the hatch area, it could also prevent the car from starting if it finds the fob there.

6. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I usually put my fob in my purse and then put my purse behind the driver's seat. Haven't had any trouble starting it.

7. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

Thanks for all the info. At least now I know it's not something wrong with my key or car.

8. glenhead

glenhead New Member

The short approximate answer is that the car won't start unless the fob is within three feet (1m) of the center console. I've played with it a bit, and that tracks. When showing the car to someone, I have to hold the fob in or near the door before it'll power clear on.

9. tacomel

tacomel New Member

A bit of additional detail: if you have two FOBs with you, one in the trunk, and one in the front seat, the car will start. My experience has also been that a single FOB in the trunk will not allow the car to start.

I have successfully started the car with the FOB just about anywhere in the front seat (center console, my pocket, on the passenger seat, etc.).

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It won't recognise it if it's in the cargo area. On a number of occasions, the fob was in my bro's backpack and the backpack is in the boot and the car did not recognise that the fob was inside the vehicle.

11. glenhead

glenhead New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 4 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]297795[/snapback]</div>
    Right - within three feet of the center console. Boot's too far back. Even standing outside the driver's door is too far away.

12. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Aug 3 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]297251[/snapback]</div>
    Wow - great bit of information - thanks!

:)