1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smell of Exhaust Fumes in Prius Cab

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by handwich, Mar 3, 2006.

1. handwich

handwich New Member

Hello All,

I am new to this chat, and after some research online, couldn't find exactly the information i was looking for. Forgive me if this exists somewhere else within this forum, but am in quick need to identify if I have a problem with my Prius.

Sometimes, when driving, I have the distinct smell of exhaust entering the cab of my Prius. I have taken steps to ensure that my vents are not open and recycling the air of the outside fumes/exhaust upon the highway. Wondering if anyone else has heard of this or experienced the same?

Should add that its a 2005 Prius, with just over 7,000 miles on it.

Any help, comments and/or suggestions would be of great benefit!

Thanks,
    M.

2. Howard

Howard New Member

I would play it safe and take it back to Toyota to see what they have to say. Also you might stop into a muffler shop for an inspection.

3. ezride

ezride New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I purchased a new 2010 Prius in March and since October first had intermittent then consistent issues with strong gas fumes in the car. It was diagnosed by the dealer as somehow having been overfilled; somehow gas got into the tubes that are next to the filler neck which recycles fumes to a carbon filled canister. Raw gas got to the canister, and I was told that it will "take time to work itself out". Meantime the fumes, while less severe made my wife and I sick for nearly two months. The dealer - - and Corporate refuse to fix the problem as a warranty issue.
    The Corporate office told me that other people have had this problem as well.
    I do not deliberately try to top off the gas tank. With a brand new expensive car such as this, this issue is not acceptable.. and corporate stood behind the local dealer in not covering it under warrenty. (it otherwise would cost $800 to replace the carbon in the canister)
    I have been a Toyota customer since 1986.. and this has definitely tarnished my experience of the Company.
    Any thoughts?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand the concept that liquid gasoline might reach the charcoal canister due to overfilling the fuel tank. However, the next time that the car is driven, engine vacuum will purge the gasoline fumes from the charcoal canister.

If you don't make a habit of filling the gasoline tank until liquid fuel starts to spill out of the filler tube, then I think that you should seek another opinion regarding the source of those fumes. There may be a leak in the vacuum lines running from the engine to the fuel tank.

If in fact the charcoal canister is the source, it would seem more reasonable to pay $800 to have it fixed, and then fight the warranty issue - rather than allow your wife and yourself to continue to be physically impaired by the problem. Good luck.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Fully filling the gas tank and getting liquid gasoline in the carbon canister WILL NOT cause gas fumes in the cabin. That stuff is all -outside- the cabin. I fully fill the tank sometimes and have never had gasoline fumes inside. Except when I spilled gasoline on my foot.

Time to have the dealer actually diagnose the problem!

6. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I get this when driving behind a bus.