1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smell when using Heater

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by darkgiant, Jan 3, 2017.

1. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my 2011 Prius, there is smell when I turn on the heater for the first 5 or so minutes. I am not surprised, as I have been parking my car outside where it fogs up really easily, and sometimes when I don't drive the car, their war water droplets forming inside of the windshield. The weather though has been below 40 for the past few weeks, so this is expected, especially when a car is not touched for a few days.

My problem is I notice a strange smell whenever I do turn on the heater (this smell usually is when my car has been sitting untouched for 3+ days). I suspect its mildew or whatever in the vents, and so I was curious if it was okay to simply put my heater on max (both temperature and fans on max) and use some sort of Air fresher cleaner spray (open to suggestions for which one, perhaps some type of Lysol?) and stick with that? I know you can drain the evaporator fluid, but the weather is right now below 20 degrees, and currently don't have access to a garage. Would it be okay to simply just spray some sort of air freshening agent to the front vent?

For a reference, here is a video made NutzaboutBolts:

Basically, is it okay to skip the first step, and go straight to step # 2? Or would it be best to perform both steps for this kind of scenario? Also, what would be the best (cheap) solution for a cleaning agent to spray on the vent, that would be safe for the Prius?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're running AC a lot it's probably mildew growing on the AC's radiator (aka evaporator) inside the cabin heat/vent system. Air humidity is constantly condensing on it when AC's running, then sitting when the car's shut down.

At this point you'll need to get to the source, not sure what that all entails.

3. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used the AC all throughout the summer, and never smelled anything then. When I do use the heater when it is cold outside I always leave the AC off. I do want to mention the smell only exists when the car is sitting outside for more then few days (where their is visible condensation inside of the windshield), so the mildew can definitely be the problem.

I actually linked @NutzAboutBolts video in my original post, as I was hoping if it was possible to simply possible to perform the second step of spraying the air cleaning agent onto vent area with the fans on max inside of the car. But if it is something tied to the radiator, then I guess this may be a bit of a bigger task then expected?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Finally watched the video, interesting. I think they made another one, regarding clogged drain tube? I see the two cans are shrink-wrapped together: maybe the two are sold in a package, with the tubing and connectors. So maybe for the best to do the two steps. And as they say in the video, safest to do at the drain tube under the car, no harm if something spills. This might do the trick, worth a try.

My approach is preemptive. We rarely use AC, and more so in winter, to dispel windshield fog. I try to shut it off and run regular air only, a few minutes (at least) before destination. Again, the killer seems to be steady use of AC, and shutting it down when the evaporator's all wet.