1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smelly Air Conditioner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by pc95, Jan 9, 2015.

1. pc95

pc95 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We bought a used 2013 Prius II last year which my wife drives. She doesn't use the air-conditioner much but has complained a few times. On a drive recently I smelled sort of a mild rancid smell. Is this a problem with other prius's? I figure there's some sort of trapped moisture somewhere. Any recommendations for mitigating? Thanks.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Basic Ac maintenance is using presuriezed can of microbial foam cleaner with hose attachment that Connects to the drip hose under the car. Contents are injected up the hose filling Evaporator box behind dash with foam and it fills the box cleaning the coils and comes back out the hose as liquid.
    Good to do it at least once a year. Mold is growing in that box. Keeps drip hose clean also.
    My dealer charges $100 for this. Diy the can can be bought at Amazon.com. its called KOOL IT.
    Then go to home depot an in the Ac filter aisle buy can of Ac coil cleaner. Soak the front condenser done with it let sit then rinse off. Really helps effiency.

Lightning Racer and phoenixgreg like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was it you Greg who found the Kool it?