1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smelly Car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ChiaPrius, Aug 11, 2004.

1. ChiaPrius

ChiaPrius Junior Member

I've had my Prius for just over 6 months, and love it, even if it is smelly.

At first, I sort of enjoyed that new car smell, but the smell that lingers is strongly plastic. Take a 15 minute ride & you can smell it your hair & on your clothes. Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions? Does it go away? I try to open the windows often to air it out but can't do that on the freeways (and be presentable in public, anyway). I tried some lavender sachets but the plastic smell overwhelmed the lavender.

Thanks for any ideas!

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm dont know... the new car smell didnt last long for me as i had the fabric protection applied within a month after receiving the car. the fabric protection did smell for a few days i guess, but as for lingering smell that gets on your clothes... nothing even close to that.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hate new-car smell. There wasn't much in mine, and it dissipated quickly. Unlike dave, I've never used fabric protection. (According to john1701a the fabric repels spills well.)

I'd say if you have a strong plastic smell after 6 months, then something is wrong. Unless you are hypersensitive, but in that case you'd notice it in other cars as well.

4. Arvin

Arvin New Member

I bought a air freshener that clips on the AC vent.

5. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Try some Fabrise? That stuff took out the grotesque god-aweful smell that was permiating my truck when I first bought it (it was old and very abused) after my previous car was totaled. Without the Fabrise, there's no way I could have gotten into poor old Beast. Perhaps it will work for you as well?

6. ChiaPrius

ChiaPrius Junior Member

Thanks for the ideas & feedback- I'll try the Freebrez first, air fresher next. My last car I bought new, the new car smell went away, and I didn't have this type of plastic smell remaining.

It occurred to me after I wrote this that I've really noticed this smell since it started getting warm. The S. CA sun can really cook a car but I'm guessing lots of you are experiencing summer as well, so, I do not know!

7. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Tip for the Fabrise: spray every carpet/fabric area real good for maximum penitration. Leave windows open to air out for several days, then repeat the spraying. Let air out some more. That should do it.

8. rflagg

rflagg Member

I recently read about what exactly causes that new car smell - the molecules of the plastic aren't quite "settled", and are released & usually cling to the winshield. It sounds crazy, but try seeing if there's a bit of a film on the inside of your winshield, and if there is, wipe it off. I love the new car smell, and was saddened when at a car wash place someone cleaned the inside and noticed the film and wiped it off...oh well. :)

-m.

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The smell doesn't bother me nearly as much as the out-gassing fog on the windows.

But, at about the 6 month mark it appears to be abating.

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is strange how some folks like the new car smell and others hate it. I like it and am always a bit disappointed when it goes away. One of these days I am going to brush off my old chem. major and invent a new car spray! Get your car detailed and spritz spritz and a brand new car. :D

11. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh noooooo! Pleeeeaaaasssseee don't make a New-Car Smell spray!! *begs* The smell gives me such a horrible headache....

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No need to bring out the chemistry set. You can buy new-car smell in a spray can. Make your old car stink like a new one and destroy the ozone layer all for one low price. You can probably buy it at a car-supply store, or your local big-box slave-labor discount store.

13. weezer4272

weezer4272 New Member

I see all of these complaints about the new car smell and I have to laugh. I've been driving an 89 for 7 years, and now that I have my first new car ordered I can't wait for the new car smell. :D Unfortunately the wait continues :(

14. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

My new car smell left after I ate at "On The Border" for dinner. Now there's more of a "Oh my god! Was that you?" kind of smell.

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh well that's what happens to all my ideas, someone gets up out of their chair and actually does it. If I did it however it would be a pump spray, eco friendly, recycled, all natural, organic and only sold in small family owned stores. Did I leave anything out. Oh yes it would never give anyone a headache, on the contrary it would cure headaches.

16. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's your answer Starbug! I might have to remember it for myself as I am not fond of the "new car smell" either. However, if Henry can create "new car smell in a can" that actually DOES cure headaches, I'll buy it.

17. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd buy your spray, IF it cured headaches.... Beast is an '86 model; I've never had a new car, and the new-car smell is the only thing I'm dreading about getting my Prius.

Erm... I don't know that I want the "OMG! Was that you?!" smell in my car, either.... But if I can make it smell like chips & salsa and refried beans, then sure. But not the results of having eaten beans. LOL