1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

smelly steering wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fortheanimals, Oct 17, 2010.

1. fortheanimals

fortheanimals Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi all,

does anyone else have issues with a stinky steering wheel? sometimes, i notice a unpleasant smell from it, especially when the car has been in the sun. when it's cold enough, it doesn't seem to smell at all. i know this is due to buildup of oils and whatnot from my hands.

i occasionally clean the wheel with baby wipes. that just minimizes the smell. anybody else?

and yes, i do wash my hands several times a day. i don't think i have particularly sweaty palms.

i drive and '05 with no accessories on the steering wheel.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't noticed that this is a problem. Since the steering wheel is covered in a plastic, maybe the baby wipe chemicals are incompatible.

You might try a moistened paper towel with a couple drops of dishwash soap to clean off the plastic, followed with another moistened paper towel to clean off the soap. See what comes off the wheel. Good luck.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After you get it clean, always wear washable gloves when driving. The wheel will never smell. Bonus: no fingerprints on plastic surfaces.

4. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Make a solution of Dawn Dish washing soap and work that into the wheel with a turkish face cloth or something like that. Rinse with clear water and dry with a dry turkish towel.

5. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A friend of mine who wears heavy cologne drove my Prius, and now, even after 2 weeks, my hands smell like cologne every time I drive from touching the steering wheel. Even alcohol wipes didn't get the smell out. Strange!