1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

smileys first trip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fred, Mar 19, 2004.

1. fred

fred New Member

as many of you know i got "smiley" last week after waiting since nov 24th. any way i took a 400 mile round trip to metropolis from nashville today. this was my first chance to see what this car could do on a trip well, it was great!slight buffeting effect but nothing bad. again extremely comfy. had no trouble at all maintaining between 65 and 70 mph even though ther were a few steep hills. surprisingly no problem to do a couple of short blasts to 80 mph to get past dangerous oversized vhicles swerving all ovet the place. people ( not owners or 04 prius) said it could not keep up with anything) well thats a bunch of hooey! got 47 miles to the gallon on the way down with heater /ac going and 49 mpg on the way back. car now has 533 miles on it. i was QUITE pleased. ive determined not to baby the car but treat it like any other car ie good accdeleration full use of standard things like ac etc

2. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    aren't you not supposed to go above 65 for the first 600 miles "break in period"?

3. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ohhh... i just remembered another "old saw" from the "good old days of engines"........ try not to run them for a long time at one speed. probably not as easy to do with an engine that's not connected to the "gas pedal", but i just thought of that. of course, buying one out of town and driving it home kind of precludes that choice, i guess..

:)

4. fred

fred New Member

thanx for your nice reply. i actually drove a couple of hundred miles in city traffice before i took my little trip. nowadays its not as critical as it used to be for break in since tolerances , machining and oil capabilities are so much better. dont floor it or slam on the brakes for awile and youll be ok. after a couple hundred miles do it like my harley dealer used to say "ride it like you stole it!"

5. fred

fred New Member

oh i forgot to tell you about getting into my other car after driving my prius for a week. i have an 02 mecerdes c230 (mitt kompressor) 6 spd hatchback. this is a great little car and will get up to 33 mpg on a trip. anyway, i got into it . darn im sitting so lowwwwww. gosh these controls feel stiff!.boy is this noisy and mechanical sounding.geez its like a bullet accelerating. im going to float around in my little smiley prius because it darn near as much fun as my little benz!

6. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    lol, fred. i love your name for it too! one of my favorite features is how high it sits. i'm short and used to craning to see up and around the car. in the prius i can see everything thanks to the seat and huge windshield

7. fred

fred New Member

i was going to name him snubby because of the short hood but when i saw his little smile i had to name him smiley.
    fred

8. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    that's really cute. i love the smile on my sassafrass. she's sassy as anything and she knows it. ;)

9. fred

fred New Member

very good!
    fred